Peletiah Webster Huntington. - Having spent his entire business career in the city of Columbus, where he rose
to be one of the outstanding figures in the financial world as president of the Huntington National Bank, Peletiah
Webster Huntington was called by death on February 25, 1918, and although he had some four years previously handed
the official reins to younger hands, the announcement of his death caused widespread grief and a sense of real
loss to the community.
Mr. Huntington was born at Norwich, Connecticut, in 1837. Norwich was the home of his forebearers since 1659, when
Simon and Christopher Huntington purchased from Chief Uncas of the Homicans a tract of land nine miles square.
A sister, Miss Sarah L. Huntington, maintained a home in the ancestral location for many years. The father of Peletiáh
Webster Huntington was for fifty years secretary of the Norwich Savings Society, one of the best known banks in
New England, and Peletiah Huntington maintained the family traditions by entering the banking business when he
came to Columbus in 1853. One of his ancestors, for whom he was named, was active in continental finances in the
early days of the republic and helped to frame the United States Constitution.
In his youth before coming to Columbus Mr. Huntington saw two years of service as a sailor before the mast, during
which time he twice visited St. Petersburg, Russia. When he came to Columbus he was employed as a messenger boy
and clerk at the State Bank of Ohio, then located at High and State Streets, and later became secretary to the
board of governors of the bank.
In 1866 the firm of P. W. Huntington & Company, of which Mr. Huntington and the late David W. Deshler were
organizers, was formed to do a general banking business. In 1905 it was reorganized as the Huntington National
Bank and Mr. Huntington became its president. He resigned from that office in 1914. During his active career Mr.
Huntington also served as president of the Hayden National Bank, president of the Columbus Shawnee & Hocking
Railroad, president of the Columbus & Xenia Railroad, president of the Columbus Gas Company, president of the
Ohio Bankers Association, director of the Hocking Valley Railway, director of the Huber Company, of Marion, Ohio,
and vice president of the American Bankers Association. For a period of thirty nine years he was treasurer of Greenlawn
Cemetery Association, and for a number of years also served as president of that body. He was largely responsible
for the erection of the cemetery chapel and his gift to it was the lovely pipe organ. Mr. Huntington also endowed
the Edward S. Matton Memorial Music Alcove in the Columbus Public Library from his own private collection. In 1884
he was appointed by the governor as head of the state public relief work, which was necessitated by the devastating
floods throughout Ohio during that year.
Mr. Huntington married Jane Nashee Deshler, of Columbus. Their children were Thomas D. and Webster P. Huntington.
His second wife was Frances Sollace, whom he married in 1872. She was the daughter of Theodore and Hattie L. Sollace.
To this union three sons were born: Francis R., who died in 1928; Theodore S., who is president of the Huntington
National Bank; and B. Gwynne, who is vice president of the Huntington National Bank. Mr. Huntington's third marriage
took place in 1882 when he married Ida H. Nothnagel, the daughter of the late Henry J. Nothnagel. Two daughters
born to them were: Mrs. W. H. Loving and Mrs. Elliott S. Church, both of Los Angeles, California.
Mr. Huntington was a prominent and active member of the First Presbyterian Church and for many years served as
treasurer and as a member of the Board of Trustees. He was a charter member of the Columbus Oratorio Society and
of the Columbus Club of which he served as president.
During the Civil War Mr. Huntington served as a captain of home guards, which was organized at the time of the
Morgan raid. Mr. Huntington is buried in Greenlawn Cemetery, Columbus.
Edwin Buchanan, who is president of The Ohio National Bank, is among the representative and influential citizens
of Columbus. He was born at Ripley, Ohio, October 28, 1890, the son of Thomas and Katherine Elizabeth (Bell) Buchanan.
Thomas and Katherine Elizabeth (Bell) Buchanan are natives of Ripley, Ohio. He conducted a rain, feed and coal
business at that place for a period of forty years, and has lived retired since 1925. To Mr. and Mrs. Buchanan
were born three children: Mrs. Clarence Klinker and Mrs. Albert O. White, both of whom live at Ripley, Ohio; and
Edwin, the subject of this sketch.
Edwin Buchanan obtained his early education in the public schools of Ripley and is a graduate of Ohio State University.
He began as a bank messenger in the employ of the Union National Bank, Columbus, in 1911; became assistant manager
examiner of the Columbus Clearing House from 1912 until 1917; served as manager examiner of the Columbus Clearing
House from 1917 until 1919; became cashier of the Ohio National Bank in 1919, and two years later was elected vice
president, in which capacity he served until 1929. In that year he was elected president of The Ohio National Bank.
On April 9, 1914, Mr. Buchanan married Miss Marietta McClure, of Columbus, the daughter of Dr. J. A. and Ina (Donaldson)
McClure, natives of Pennsylvania. Doctor and Mrs. McClure live in Columbus. Mr. and Mrs. Buchanan have a son, Thomas
Edwin, born February 12, 1915. He attends Columbus Academy.
Mr. Buchanan is identified with the Neil Avenue United Presbyterian Church. He is a Republican in politics and
holds membership in the Columbus Athletic Club„ Scioto Country Club, Columbus Club, Young Business Men's Club and
the Columbus Auto Club.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium