Mark David Godfrey, M. D., who has had a thorough preparation and wide experience in the field of medicine is
one of the successful physicians of Columbus. He was born at Cedar Mills, Adams County, Ohio, December 25, 1887,
and is a son of Warren P. and Lucy (Henry) Godfrey, the former a native of McConnellsville, Ohio, born January
21, 1845, and the latter of Stockport, Ohio, born December 18, 1851.
Warren P. Godfrey was a soldier in the Civil War. He entered the service when he was very young, becoming a member
of Company E, 144th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was honorably discharged at the close of the war, and taught school
for a time. Later he became a farmer. He died in 1909 and is buried at Waverly, Ohio. His wife died in 1905 and
is buried at the same place. They were the parents of the following children: Myrtle, married Dr. Win. H. Johnson,
Waverly, Ohio; Millicent, the widow of E. H. Easter, Columbus, Ohio; Kathryn married Lewis Foreman, Manchester,
Ohio, and Mark David, the subject of this sketch.
Doctor Godfrey was reared in Adams County, and after completing the public schools there he engaged in teaching.
He taught one year in Green Township, one year in Rome, Ohio, and two years in Ross County. He was graduated from
Starling Medical College, now Ohio State University, in 1912 with a degree of M. D. In 1912-13 he served as interne
at Mt. Carmel Hospital, Columbus, after which he took a post graduate course at Johns Hopkins University. He then
engaged in the practice of medicine in Columbus from 1913 to 1918. In 1918 he was commissioned a first lieutenant,
in the Medical Corps of the United States Army, and sent to Ft. Oglethorpe, Georgia. After the Armistice was signed
he served with the Army of Occupation in Germany, until December 31, 1920, when he resigned with the rank of captain.
He then took post graduate work in the University of Vienna from January until June, 1921. From July, 1921 until
December, 1921, he did reconstruction and relief work in Czechoslovakia. From December, 1921 to July, 1923, he
was medical supervisor in Russia with the American Relief Administration. In 1923 he returned to the University
of Vienna where he completed his post graduate course in November of that year. He then went to Kobe, Japan, where
he was engaged in the general practice of medicine during the years 1924-25-26. In 1926 he returned to Columbus
where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession.
Doctor Godfrey is a member of the American Medical Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Columbus Academy
of Medicine and the General Practitioners Association of Columbus. He is visiting physician to Mt. Carmel and Grant
Hospitals. His work is limited to diagnosis and consultation. Also member of Morton Lodge, No. 63, F. & A.
M. at Hempstead, New York, and the A. R. A. Association, New York, N. Y.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium