Captain Eddie Gettrost, deceased, was an exceedingly popular citizen of Columbus. Mr. Gettrost was a veteran
of the Spanish-American War, was a captain in the World War, and the quality of the good soldier was evidenced
throughout the strenuous efforts he put forth to achieve success as a business man.
He was born in Bellaire, Ohio, in 1877, and came to Columbus in 1893, when a boy of sixteen. For a time he worked
during the day in a restaurant and attended night school. He followed a similar program in Cincinnati for a time,
where he attended a business college at night. In that way he managed to acquire a good common school and business
education, the equivalent of six years in a day school.
When the Spanish-American War broke out in the spring of 1898, Captain Gettrost, who had recently returned to Columbus,
enlisted in the regular United States army, joining Company B of the 17th United States Infantry as a private.
He went with the regiment to Cuba and from there accompanied General Miles' expedition to Porto Rico, landing at
Guanica, July 25, 1898. He was in the service until June 1899, when, returning to Columbus, he was honorably discharged.
In 1902 Mr. Gettrost bought out the old Swift bowling alleys on East Gay Street, and continued the operation of
the property as bowling alleys and restaurant. In 1913 he opened his South High Street billiard hall and bowling
alleys. In 1916 his third place was opened at 592 North High Street. These have been three popular resorts for
men in the city. In November, 1922, he opened a fourth and the most pretentious of them all, the Gettrost Recreation
Hall on 44 North Front Street. This hall comprises the second, third, fourth and fifth floors of the building,
each of which is equipped with magnificent bowling alleys, twenty eight in all, comprising unsurpassed facilities
for that justly popular sport. He is and has been for eleven years president of the Ohio State Bowling Association.
He disposed of his other interests except the one on 44 North Front Street and 592 North High Street.
Mr. Gettrost's services during the World War began in June, 1918, when he enlisted as a private in the artillery.
He was commissioned a first lieutenant on July 1st, and was sent to Fortress Monroe, Va., where he organized and
trained a company of colored soldiers. He went to France as their commander in August, 1918, and was assigned to
duty in the Quartermaster's Department. He was located at Gievres, France, and was on duty there until July 20,
1919. While overseas he was promoted to captain and was honorably discharged with that rank at Camp Sherman, August
Captain Gettrost was a member of Franklin Post of the American Legion at Columbus, and past president of the Franklin
County Council of the American Legion. He was also a member of Camp No. 49 of the Spanish-American War Veterans
and belonged to the Automobile Club, Athletic Club of Columbus and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks,
No. 37, and the Columbus Country Club. His fraternal affiliations were the Free and Accepted Masons, and Scioto
Consistory, A. A. S. R. Thirty second degree.
In 1900 Mr. Gettrost was married to Miss Berta Long of Bellaire, Ohio. They have one daughter, Dorothy. Mrs. Gettrost
is a daughter of Louis and Elizabeth (Clouse) Long. Mr. Long was a miller by occupation. He is deceased and his
widow resides in Columbus with her daughter, Mrs. Gettrost.
Mr. Gettrost died November 19, 1929, and is buried in Union Cemetery, Columbus.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium