Davids Lutheran Church, Canal Winchester. - A young man by the name of Pence followed the missionary call of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church and began work in the vicinity of Canal Winchester. Finally, in 1839, a church
was built in Canal Winchester in joint fellowship with the Reformed Church, known as the Davids Reformed and Lutheran
Church. This agreement was kept until March, 1881, when the Lutheran congregation sold their interest to the Reformed
Church and built a beautiful brick structure on the corner of Elm and Mound Streets, where the church still stands.
This church was dedicated November 19, 1882, under the pastorate of Rev. H. J. Schuh. The following pastors have
served in this charge: Revs. Pence; Wagenhols, who lived at Lithopolis and whose memory is preserved by the Wagenhols
memorial at Lithopolis; Charles Wernle; J. P. Eirich; George Mochle, January 1, 1862, to March 15, 1874; Henry
J. Schuh, September 27, 1874, to September 3, 1882; Dr. George H. Schodde for one year; Louis H. Schuh, April 1,
1883, until February 12, 1890; Rev. Theodore H. E. Erich, 1890 to 1902; C. F. W. Allwardt, May 17, 1903, to July
3, 1904; F. W. Almendinger, July 24, 1904, to 1908; Fred O. Schuh, 1908 to 1915; J. F. Mueller, January 30, 1916,
to 1918, who died as the result of sickness contracted while in service during the World War; W. A. Poovey, April
7, 1919, to 1923; Otto A. Fischer, 1923, to February, 1925; and Vernon D. Ridenour, May, 1925, to the present time.
The present congregation is holding to the convictions of their fathers, believing in Jesus Christ as their Savior,
and their pastors still preach the "Changeless Christ," in a changing world.
Rev. Vernon D. Ridenour, the present pastor of this church, was born near Glenford, Perry County, Ohio, October
25, 1897, the son of C. F. and Charlotte (Cooperuder) Ridenour. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
C. F. Ridenour: Elbert, deceased; Blanche Mohler, lives at Newark, Ohio; Dorsey Lee, lives at Glenford, Ohio; Clara
Hoover, lives at Glenford, Ohio; Edna Johnson, lives at Glenford; Estella, lives at Glenford; Harvey, lives at
Glenford; Victor C., lives at Elmore, Ohio; Vernon D., the subject of this sketch; and Clarence, deceased. Victor
C. Ridenour, twin brother of Vernon D., is also a minister of the Lutheran Church.
Vernon D. Ridenour was reared and educated at Glenford, Ohio. He studied for the ministry at Capital University,
Columbus, with his brother, and was ordained as a minister in June, 1923. His first pastorate was at Cardington,
Morrow County, Ohio, where he remained from June, 1923, until April, 1925. He was then called to Davids Lutheran
Church at Canal Winchester. On June 26, 1923, Reverend Ridenour was united in marriage with Miss Hazel Irene Ardrey,
of Mt. Perry, Ohio, the daughter of E. G. and Isabel (McMullen) Ardrey, of Canal Winchester. They have two sons:
Vernon Clarence, born in 1927; and Robert Eugene, born in 1930.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium