James Maurice Bowman, M. D. - An experienced physician and surgeon and public spirited citizen, Doctor J. M.
Bowman, a veteran of the World War, is numbered among the representative men of Columbus, and has honorably won
the position he holds in his profession. Doctor Bowman was born near Manchester, Ohio, August 11, 1878, the son
of Joseph and Martha Jane (Jenkins) Bowman.
Joseph Bowman was born near Manchester, Ohio, and throughout his life was a farmer. He served throughout the Civil
War as a member of Company F, First Ohio Light Artillery, and saw much active service. He was a Democrat, a member
of the New Light of the Christian Church, and belonged to the Masonic Lodge, and Grand Army of the Republic. Mr.
Bowman died in 1919 and his wife died in 1915. Both are buried in Fellowship Cemetery, Brown County, Ohio. To Mr.
and Mrs. Bowman were born twelve children, as follows: George, who died in infancy; Rev. Andrew J., a minister
of the New Light of the Christian Church, lives at West Union, Ohio; William M., merchant, lives at Decatur, Ohio;
Louella, married Charles White, farmer, lives near Manchester, Ohio; John, who died in 1881; Olavine, married Oliver
White, lives near Winchester, Ohio; Joseph Randolph, farmer, lives near West Union, Ohio; Oliver Mason, farmer,
lives near Winchester, Ohio; James Maurice, the subject of this sketch; Minnie Alice, married Alvin Mitchell, lives
at West Union, Ohio; Clara Bowman, deceased; and Cordelia, married Charles Paul, farmer, lives near Decatur, Ohio.
James Maurice Bowman spent his boyhood on his father's farm near Manchester and attended the district schools.
He also studied at the West Union Normal School and taught school for a period of four years in the rural district.
He then spent five years as a teacher at Bentonville, and Peebles, Ohio, after which he entered Ohio Northern University,
at Ada, Ohio. After three years in that institution he spent a year at Miami College, and in 1911 came to Columbus
and accepted a position with his wife at the Ohio State School for the Deaf. The following year Doctor Bowman took
up the study of medicine at Ohio State University, from which he received a degree in 1916. He then established
offices at Mt. Vernon Avenue and Twentieth Street, Columbus, but on October 17, 1917, gave up his practice to enlist
for service in the World War. Doctor Bowman served with the rank of first lieutenant, United States Medical Corps,
and was sent to Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, where he served until the close of the war. It was a strange coincident
that Doctor Bowman was encamped on the very spot in Georgia where his father fought during the Civil War.
After the close of the war Doctor Bowman resumed his practice in Columbus and on April 4, 1927, removed to his
present location, 2451 1/2 Cleveland Avenue. He is a member of the staffs of St. Ann's and White Cross hospitals,
and is an active member of the Columbus Academy of Medicine, Ohio State Medical Society, and American Medical Association.
On April 28, 1909, Doctor Bowman was united in marriage with Miss Ida M. Moore, of Peebles, Ohio, the daughter
of B F. and Matilda (Gailey) Moore. Mr. Moore died in 1914 and his wife died in 1911. Doctor and Mrs. Bowman have
Politically, Doctor Bowman is a Democrat. He holds membership in the Methodist Church, and is affiliated with the
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium