Carl Franklin Block, proprietor of Block's University Flower Shop, is one of the progressive florists of Columbus.
He was born at Galion, Ohio, June 2, 1890, a son of W. F. L. and Louisa (Ricker) Block, both natives of Galion.
W. F. L. Block was prominent in the business life of Galion during his active career. He was reared and educated
there and in early life entered the dry goods business and later became the owner of the business which he conducted
for twenty nine years. He then retired from the dry goods business and became one of the organizers of the Galion
Metallic Grave Vault Company, of which he became vice president and served in that capacity until his death, in
1922. His wife died in 1916 and they are both buried at Galion. He was a director of the First National Bank of
Galion. He was a thirty second degree Mason, a member of the Odd Fellows and the Knights of the Maccabees. He was
a Republican and served for fifteen years on the Galion school board, of which he was president for a number of
years. He and his wife were members of the First Reformed Church, of which he was an elder. His father, Julius
F. A. Block, was a graduate of Heidelburg University, Germany, and served in the Franco Prussian War.
W. F. L. and Louisa (Ricker) Block were the parents of the following children: Amelia, married Peter Weiner, Galion;
Bertha, married A. W. Bradfield, Galion; A. W., Vanceburg, Kentucky; Carl Franklin, the subject of this sketch;
Maurice, Pasadena, California; and Emma, died at the age of nine years, and is buried at Galion.
Carl Franklin Block was reared in Galion and attended the public schools. He entered Heidelburg Academy, where
he was graduated in 1909. He then attended Heidelburg University for two years, when he entered Ohio State University,
and was graduated in the class of 1914, with the degree of B. S. in horticulture. In 1915 he entered into partnership
with George Crane, and they opened a florist shop at 1834 North High Street. In 1917 Mr. Block purchased his partner's
interest and in the fall of the same year he entered the United States Navy, and was sent to the Great Lakes Training
School at Chicago. About nine months later he was transferred to Hampton Roads, Virginia, where he served until
the Armistice was signed, after which he received his honorable discharge. At that time he had an appointment to
enter the Paymaster's School at Princeton University, but returned to Columbus and again entered the florist's
business. In 1922 he moved his business to his present address, 11 East Sixteenth Avenue, where he has an unusually
attractive flower shop and has built up an extensive business. He has a large university patronage and is recognized
for his dependable business methods.
Mr. Block is a member of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, the Excelsior Society, of Heidelburg College, and belongs
to the Reformed Church.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium