Hugh Gibson Beatty, M. D., whose practice is limited to the treatment of ear, nose and throat diseases, is a
veteran of the World War, and widely recognized as one of the leading and highly successful surgeons of this section
of Ohio. He has offices at 683 East Broad Street, Columbus.
Doctor Beatty was born near Washington Court House, Ohio, September 12, 1880, the son of Talcott and Olga Forrester
(Evans) Beatty. Talcott Beatty was born on a farm near Washington C. H., February 23, 1853, and spent nearly his
entire life as a farmer and grain merchant. His wife, who died September 13, 1917, was the daughter of H. S. and
Mary Evans, of Greenfield, Ohio. Mrs. Beatty is buried at Washington C. H. Their children were: Ralph Evans, born
June 16, 1895, farmer, lives near Washington C. H.; Marie, identified with the Lincoln Life Insurance Company,
Columbus; and Hugh Gibson, the subject of this sketch.
The boyhood of Hugh Gibson Beatty was spent at Washington C. H., where he was educated. After his graduation from
high school he came to Columbus in 1900 and entered the employ of Harry Bradshaw, druggist. He also attended the
School of Pharmacy, Ohio State University, from which he received a degree in 1904. Two years later he entered
the College of Medicine, Ohio State University, and received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1910. The following
year was spent in Europe, where Doctor Beatty took graduate work in the University of Vienna, specializing in the
study of diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. Upon his return to the United States he spent one year in a
clinical hospital in New York City, and upon his return to Columbus in 1912 established his practice at Fourth
and Broad Streets. In 1918, at the outbreak of the World War, Doctor Beatty enlisted and was sent to Camp Dodge,
Iowa. In January, 1918, he was transferred to the General Hospital at Fort Oglethorp, Georgia, and remained in
service there until the close of the war. He was discharged on June 30, 1919, and returned to Columbus and resumed
his practice in his former location. In November, 1926, Doctor Beatty removed to his present offices, 683 East
Broad Street. He has a five room hospital in connection with his offices and has a capable staff of assistants
and nurses. He also makes a specialty of the treatment of cases which involve hare lip and cleft palate work.
Doctor Beatty is a Republican, attends the Methodist Church, and has the following lodge and club affiliations:
Kinsman Lodge No. 617, Free & Accepted Masons; Scioto Consistory, 32nd degree; Aladdin Temple, Mystic Shrine;
Phi Kappa Psi and Alpha Kappa Kappa fraternities; the Columbus Club; Columbus Athletic Club; University Club; Faculty
Club; Scioto Country Club; and Sons of the American Revolution. He is also chairman of the Department of Ear, Nose
and Throat, School of Medicine, Ohio State University.
Doctor Beatty is unmarried.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium