John B. Baas is one of the most prominent business men of Columbus, where he is president of the Columbus Rendering
Company. He was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1868, and came to this country when sixteen years of age. He immediately
located in Chicago, where he spent several years in the employ of Armour & Company. It wads with this company
that Mr. Baas learned the rendering business from beginning to end with its details. He then organized the Columbus
Rendering Company in 1918 and since that date has been assisted in the management of the business by his sons.
George Ross was the original president, with John B. Baas, vice president and treasurer, and Walter Boyer, as secretary.
In 1920 Mr. Boyer resigned and was succeeded by Henry Pitz, who held the office of secretary until 1927. Stewart
R. Bolin, attorney, is now secretary. John B. Baas has served as president of the company since 1920, and his son,
Carl C., is vice president, with Henry J., another son, as treasurer.
The company's business extends throughout the United States, although approximately ninety per cent of its output
is consumed by Proctor & Gamble, of Cincinnati, who are the largest soap manufacturers in the world. The Columbus
Rendering Company owns its own tank cars and operates a large fleet of motor trucks throughout Ohio and West Virginia
in the collection of raw materials. Storage facilities also take care of one million pounds of fine soap tallow,
as it is manufactured by the plant.
Although the tallow business has flourished in the Columbus district since 1847, it is a recognized fact that the
Columbus Rendering Company has greatly surpassed all industries of its type in this section of the United States.
To John B. and Elizabeth (Pitz) Baas the following children were born: Carl C. and Henry J., mention of whom is
made below; Fred L., born December 2, 1905, factory superintendent of the Columbus Rendering Company, married Miss
Cecelia Hinds, Columbus; Harmon C., born November 1, 1910, died July 21, 1928, buried in Greenlawn Cemetery, Columbus;
Herbert F., twin brother of Harmon C., a graduate of South High School, Columbus; and Catherine E., a graduate
of South High School, attends Ohio University.
Carl C. Baas was born in Columbus, February 28, 1901. He received his education in the public schools and after
his graduation from South High School, he entered Ohio Military Institute, Cincinnati, from which he was graduated
in 1918. He has since been associated with his father's business and in 1928 became vice president of the company.
He was married in 1922 to Miss Margaret Acker, of Columbus, and they have a daughter, Caroline. They live at 441
South Guernsey Avenue.
Henry J. Baas was born in this city, November 6, 1902. He attended the public schools of Columbus and is a graduate
of South High School, class of 1920. Throughout his business career he has been identified with the interests of
the Columbus Rendering Company, and has held the office of treasurer of the company since 1928. On July 7, 1923,
Mr. Baas married Miss Mary Patton, of Columbus, the daughter of Charles C. and Mary (Connor) Patton. Mr. Patton
lives in Columbus. His wife is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Baas have a daughter, Mary Ann, born November 28, 1926. They
live at 597 South Roys Avenue.
The Baas family are all members of St. John's Evangelical Church. John B. Baas and his three older sons are affiliated
with Humboldt Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, and Mr. Baas belongs to Ohio Chapter, Scioto Consistory, thirty
second degree and Aladdin Shrine. He also belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Buckeye Fishing
Club, and Columbus Maennerchor. He and has wife live at 707 Linwood Avenue.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium