William H. Amos, funeral director, is among the representative business men of Columbus, and is a member of
one of the city's oldest families. He was born here October 27, 1870, the son of Joseph and Mary (St. Clair) Amos.
Johnson Elliott St. Clair, maternal grandfather of William H. Amos, was at the time of his death the oldest white
man born and reared in Franklin County. He was born in a log cabin on the site of the present Southern Hotel. He
was also the first president of the Franklin County Pioneer Association and held that office until the time of
his death. Philip Amos, paternal grandfather of William H. Amos, was a charter member of Magnolia Lodge, Free and
Accepted Masons, Columbus.
Joseph Amos was born in Columbus, where he spent the greater part of his life. During the Civil War he served as
a member of Company IL, 46th Ohio Volunteer Infantry under command of the late Gen. Charles C. Wolcott. He was
married in 1865 to Mary St. Clair, also a native of Columbus. He held the position of city market master for a
period of twenty five years, after which he was appointed warden of the United States Penitentiary at Salt Lake
City, Utah, where he remained four years. Upon his return to Columbus he became superintendent of the Franklin
County morgue. Mr. Amos died January 25, 1909, and his wife died January 25, 1913. Both are buried in Green Lawn
Cemetery, Columbus. They were the parents of two sons: William H., the subject of this sketch; and St. Clair, who
died in 1908. Mr. Amos was a Republican, a member of the Methodist Church, and belonged to the Grand Army of the
Republic, having served as adjutant general of the State of Ohio.
William H. Amos completed his schooling in Columbus in 1886 and in that year went to Salt Lake City with his father.
Four years later he located in Chicago, where he spent eight years in charge of the ambulance service at St. Luke's
Hospital. He was then engaged in the same work at the Roosevelt Hospital in New York City for three years, and
upon his return to Columbus in February, 1904, he became associated with Pletcher, Brown & Company, undertakers,
with whom he was identified for eighteen years. Since July, 1923, Mr. Amos has engaged in business for himself.
His first location was at 1400 North High Street, and on November 1, 1923, he removed to 1186 North High. He purchased
the interests of Mr. McDonald in July, 1927, and at that time located at the present address, 1080 North High Street.
Mr. Amos is recognized as one of the dependable morticians of the city.
On October 29, 1898, Mr. Amos married Miss May M. Wilson, of Baltimore, Maryland, the daughter of William and Jane
(Nolan) Wilson, natives of England and Ireland respectively. Both are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Amos have a son, Joseph
F., born December 31, 1903. He is a graduate of North High School, Columbus, and is now district sales supervisor
for the Ohio Bell Telephone Company in Columbus. He was married July 19, 1926, to Miss Elizabeth Ware, of Columbus.
Mr. Amos is a Republican, a member of the Methodist Church and is affiliated with Franklin Lodge, No. 5, Knights
of Pythias. He is a member of the Ohio State Board of Funeral Directors and the Ohio State Embalmers Association.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium