James Garfield Alcorn, M. D. - Prominent among the leading surgeons of Columbus may be mentioned Doctor Alcorn,
whose practice is limited to treatment of the eye, ear, nose and throat, with offices at 287 East Town Street.
He was born at Gallipolis, Ohio, March 4, 1881, the son of Dr. Eli G. and Nancy Alice (Bickel) Alcorn.
Dr. Eli G. Alcorn was born at Irwin, Kentucky, July 1, 1844. He is a widely known specialist with offices at 1329
Franklin Avenue, Columbus. Doctor Alcorn's practice is also limited to the treatment of diseases of the eye, ear,
nose and throat. His wife is the daughter of Aaron Bickel, a leading building contractor of Columbus. The following
children were born to Doctor and Mrs. Alcorn: Albert D., attorney, lives at Cincinnati, Ohio; Dr. John B., physician,
offices at 167 East State Street, Columbus; Edgar G., bank examiner, lives in Columbus; Robert S., attorney, lives
at Cincinnati, Ohio; Bertha G., lives at home; and James Garfield, the subject of this sketch.
James Garfield Alcorn acquired his early education in the public schools of Gallipolis, Ohio, and in 1898 was graduated
from high school. He attended the University of Cincinnati, being a member of the class of 1902, degree of Doctor
of Medicine. He then engaged in practice with his father as a specialist and also held the position of physician
at the Epileptic Hospital in Gallipolis. In 1904 Doctor Alcorn came to Columbus and established offices at 185
East State Street, also serving for two years as official physician of the Ohio State Penitentiary. During the
World War he enlisted and saw service as a surgeon with the rank of captain in L'Ambulance de Ocean Hospital in
Belgium, and later in the American Hospital in Paris, France. He returned to the United States in April, 1919,
and immediately resumed his practice in Columbus, at that time in conjunction with Dr. Eli G. Alcorn who opened
the Alcorn Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital at 287 East Town Street. Their practice is confined to eye, ear,
nose and throat work, and they are recognized as authorities in this particular branch of the medical profession.
On September 11, 1917, Doctor Alcorn was united in marriage with Miss Helen Pugh, the daughter of Judge John M.
and Elizabeth (Bradley) Pugh, members of pioneer families of Franklin County. Judge Pugh is deceased, and his widow
lives at 847 Franklin Avenue, Columbus. Doctor and Mrs. Alcorn have no children.
Politically, Doctor Alcorn is a Republican. He is a member of Franklin Park Methodist Episcopal Church and Mrs.
Alcorn holds membership in St. Paul's Episcopal Church. Dr. Alcorn has no club or lodge affiliations.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium