HENRY J. SCHILLER. An active member of the legal fraternity of Erie County, Henry J. Schiller has been successfully
engaged in the practice of his chosen profession at Sandusky for ten years, during which time he has won a fair
share of patronage. He was born in 1873, on a farm in Perkins Township, Erie County, Ohio, a son of George Schiller.
His paternal grandfather, Frederick Schiller, a German by birth and breeding, spent his entire life in Bavaria,
being there engaged in mercantile pursuits. Two of his sons immigrated to this country, George, who became a resident
of Ohio, and Frederick, who settled in Canada, on Pelee Island, which is located in Lake Erie, north of Sandusky.
Born August 29, 1830, in Bavaria, Germany, George Schiller attended school regularly until twelve years old, when
he began an apprenticeship of five years at the trades of a baker and miller, his father paying the baker 50 cents
a month the first two years, instead of the boy receiving any money for his work, although during that time he
was allowed to attend school a part of each year. The baker, however, gave him $2 a month the last two years of
his apprenticeship. In 1853, deciding to try the hazard of new fortunes, he embarked on a sailing vessel for America,
and after a tempestuous voyage of eighty three days landed in New York. He followed his trade for a time in Brooklyn,
and then went to Cincinnati, where he secured work as a truck gardener with a Mr. Biegler. Coming to Erie County
in 1863, he bought a tract of land on the Columbus Pike, in Perkins Township, and for a while carried on general
farming. Later he was engaged in the baking business at Sandusky for three years, but subsequently returned to
Perkins Township, where he continued his agricultural labors until his death, April 13, 1897.
The maiden name of the wife of George Schiller was Mary Biegler. She was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, November 29,
1838, and is now living, since the death of her husband making her home with her children. Her father was born
and bred in Bavaria, and there married. Immigrating to the United States in 1837, he established himself in Cincinnati
as a building contractor, and met with success in his labors. He was energetic and enterprising, and used to burn
all the lime and brick he required in the construction of buildings. He and his good wife reared five children,
Katherine, Margaret, George, Mary and Kate. Of the union of George and Mary (Biegler) Schiller twelve children
were born, namely: William, deceased; Anna; Gustav; Charles, deceased; Albert; Edwin; Henry, deceased; Henry J.
and John H., twins; George; Alma, and William.
As a boy and youth Henry J. Schiller attended the rural school of District No. 5, in Perkins Township, in the meantime
helping his father on the home farm. At the age of sixteen years he began an apprenticeship of three years in Frank's
bakery, and subsequently, for two or three seasons, sailed the lakes during the summer and worked at his trade
winters. Then, for a period of twelve years, Mr. Schiller was employed as a baker at the Soldiers' Home, and while
thus engaged made diligent use of his leisure time by close and intelligent study completing the Sandusky High
School course, and passing the examination at Columbus. He also pursued the study of law to some purpose, in 1906
being admitted to the bar. Since that time he has devoted his time and attention to the practice of his profession,
and to the buying and selling of real estate, in both lines of business meeting with much success.
On September 15, 1897, Mr. Schiller married Lillian Virginia Lowe, who was born in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, a
daughter of John and Anna (Leigh) Lowe, the former of whom was a native of Virginia, and the latter of Bavaria,
Germany. Her paternal great grandfather served as a soldier in both the Revolutionary war and in the War of 1812.
Her grandfather Lowe Was captain of a Pennsylvania battalion during the Civil war and lost his life while in service.
Five of his brothers in law fought in the Confederate army during that conflict. Her father, John Lowe, enlisted
in the Third West Virginia Cavalry during the Civil war, and under command of General Custer took part in various
engagements, and still later served in the United States Regular Army.
On August 30, 1905, Mr. Schiller, in his efforts to rescue a youth from drowning in the Sandusky Bay, jumped from
the dock, and after being twice pulled under the water safely landed the young man on dry ground. For this brave
act the United States Congress awarded him a silver medal, and in addition he received a Carnegie medal and $1,500
in cash from the Carnegie Hero Fund.
Politically Mr. Schiller has always been actively identified with the republican party. He cast his first vote
for William McKinley as governor of Ohio, and subsequently had the pleasure of twice voting for the same candidate
for president. In 1904 he was a candidate on the republican ticket for representative to the State Legislature.
Fraternally he is a member of Science Lodge No. 50, Free and Accepted Masons.
A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio
By: Hewson L. Peeke
Assisted by a Board of Advisory Editors
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1916
Erie County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium