STEPHEN HENRY ROGERS. Every passing year adds to the veneration and respect in which the few surviving veterans
of the great war between the North and South are held. An Erie County soldier who made a record for himself by
faithfulness to duty and efficiency as a soldier during the '60s is Stephen Henry Rogers, a native of Erie County,
for many years a prosperous farmer and stock man, and now living quietly retired at his home in Sandusky.
Stephen Henry Rogers was born in Margaretta Township of Erie County, October 28, 1838. The family. was early settled
in New York State, and the father, Stephen Rogers, was born near Schenectady in December, 1814. When a young man
he came to Erie County, bought a tract of unimproved land in Iargaretta Township, and there built the log house
in which Stephen H. Rogers was born. Though the county had been settled a number of years a large portion of it
was still an unbroken wilderness, and the Rogers family was among those who added to the area of cultivated lands
and improved the resources of civilization in this section. For many years after coming here Stephen Rogers gave
all his energy and time to clearing up and cultivating his land, and after a few years replaced the old log house
by a substantial stone structure, which is still standing, and an interesting landmark in Margaretta Township.
This old house has a porch the entire length of the front, a large lawn with numerous shade trees, and is one of
the very attractive country places in this county. Stephen Rogers lived there until his death in 1864. He married
Eliza Hartwell. She was born in Margaretta Township of Erie County July 11, 1815, and her family was among the
earliest pioneers of this region of Northern Ohio. She first married Benjamin Rogers, a brother of Stephen, and
one of the early settlers of Margaretta Township, where he died not long after his marriage, leaving one son, Benjamin.
Stephen Rogers and wife were the parents of five children, named Mary L., Stephen Henry, Phebe Maria, Martha E.
and Allida The mother of these children lived to the great old age of eighty five, passing away in 1900.
Stephen Henry Rogers grew up on the country place above described, attended the neighboring country schools, and
when still a boy was actively engaged in running the farm. He continued his labors in that manner until October
21, 1861, when he answered the call for troops to defend the Union and enlisted in Company A, of the Seventy second
Regiment of Ohio Infantry. He went South with his command and was with the regiment in all its service up to July,
1863. In that month he was detached for special duty as a carrier of dispatches, and served in that capacity successively
under Gen. Ralph P. Buckland, General Asboth, Gen. James M. Tuttle, Gen. Joseph A. Mower, and finally with General
McArthur. He saw service in the states of Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri, Arkansas and Texas,
and had a most interesting and varied military career. Mr. Rogers now has in his possession a number of souvenirs
of the war. One of these is a drinking cup in a leather case captured from Colonel Clack of the Second Louisiana
Independent Cavalry. He also has a belt with revolver and cartridges and a long sword captured from a rebel major
at the battle of Henderson Hill. On the brass clasp of the cartridge belt is embossed a pelican, showing that it
belonged to a Louisiana regiment. He has a number of other curios picked up on different battlefields. Perhaps
the most cherished of his keepsakes from the war period is one that he carried with him from the time of his enlistment
until his return home. This was a "housewife" given him when he enlisted by his sister Martha. It was
made of silk, bound with leather, and contained a comb, needles, thread, buttons and other little necessities for
his use in repairing his clothing. Mr. Rogers still has this "housewife," and in it the comb which he
carried all through the war.
At the close of his term of service, in the fall of 1864, Mr. Rogers was honorably discharged, and on returning
home resumed his position on the old homestead farm. He finally succeeded to the ownership of the place. In 1869
he bought a farm in the west part of the same township and was there successfully engaged in general farming, raising
cattle, horses and hogs, and was for many years one of the most substantial and successful farmers of that vicinity.
In 1899 Mr. Rogers removed to Sandusky, where he is now living retired, though still owning the farm, which is
On October 26, 1865, Mr. Rogers married Maria Louisa Bardwell. She was born in Margaretta Township February 19,
1838. Her father, Salmon Dickinson Bardwell, was born in Hatfield, Massachusetts, February 29, 1796. He was reared
and was married in that town, and in 1834, accompanied by his bride, came out to Ohio. The journey was made by
wagbn and team as far as Albany, New York, at which point they embarked upon a canal boat over the Erie Canal as
far as Buffalo, and thence by lake boat to Huron, and there again wagon and team were brought into service to convey
them to Margaretta Township in Erie County. In that locality he bought land and built the log house in which Mrs.
Rogers was born. This old house had a stone chimney and fireplace, and as there was no stove, the mother of Mrs.
Rogers for many years did all her cooking over the open fire. Mr. Bardwell subsequently erected a substantial frame
house, and lived there until his death in 1852. He married Lucy Ann White, who was born in Hatfield, Massachusetts,
July 22, 1806, and died on the home farm in 1873. Mrs. Rogers had one sister, Sarah Ann, who first married William
Graves and later James Snowden.
Mr. and Mrs. Rogers have reared four children: Addie A., Carrie A., Henry Stephen, and James G. The daughter Addie
married Jefferson Fleming, and died in 1900. Carrie A. married Thomas M. Farmer, of Toledo, Ohio. Henry S., of
Sandusky, married Edna Gander, of Norwalk. James G. is a resident of Arizona. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers are Universalists
in their religious belief. Mr. Rogers is affiliated with McMeens Post, No. 19, of the Grand Army of the Republic.
A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio
By: Hewson L. Peeke
Assisted by a Board of Advisory Editors
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1916
Erie County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium