JAMES D. PARKER, M. D. One of the leading homoeopathic physicians of Sandusky, James D. Parker, M. D., was born
in Perkins Township, Erie County, Ohio, a son of James D. Parker, Sr.
Joshua Parker, the Doctor's paternal grandfather. was born and reared near Boston, England. Immigrating to America
when young, he came directly to Erie County, settling in the vicinity of Minim Ohio was then but sparsely settled,
and there being no railroads in the state Milan was a shipping point for a large stretch of country, people living
a hundred miles distant taking their surplus products there to sell or exchange. Working for Thomas Butman, his
first employer, a number of years, he saved his scant earnings, and later bought a tract of land lying between
Norwalk and Monroeville. On the farm which he cleared and improved, he spent the remainder of his days. His wife,
whose maiden name was Jane Francis, was also a native of England.
Born on the home farm in Huron County, February 17, 1850, James D. Parker, Sr., acquired
his elementary education in the rural schools of his native district, afterward continuing his studies at the Monroeville
High School. At the age of seventeen years he came to Sandusky to attend the Buckeye Business College, and after
studying there a year became a teacher in the institution. Two years later he bought out the institution, which
he conducted successfully for six years. Being forced to give up teaching on account of failing health, he sold
out, and moved to Perkins Township, where he carried on general farming until 1881. Disposing of his land in that
year, he was engaged in mercantile pursuits at Bogart until 1902, when he retired from active business, although
he subsequently served as deputy county treasurer, and as deputy county auditor. He continued his residence in
Bogart the remainder of his life, dying January 18, 1915. He was a member of Science Lodge No. 50. Free and Accepted
Masons; of Sandusky City Chapter No. 72, Royal Arch Masons; of Sandusky City Council No 26, Royal and Select Masters;
of Erie Commandery No. 23, Knights Templar; and of the Toledo Consistory. He was a stanch republican in politics,
and served as justice of the peace, and as postmaster at Bogart.
The maiden name of the wife of James D. Parker, Sr., was Sarah Gurley, who was born in Huron County, Ohio, a daughter
of William D. Gurley. Her paternal grandfather, Rev. William D. Gurley, was born, reared and educated in County
Wexford, Ireland, and there, after serving an apprenticeship at the silversmith's trade, was for a while engaged
in the jewelry business. Converted, and ordained as a preacher by John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, he, with
other Protestants, was persecuted and imprisoned. In 1801 he immigrated to the United States, and after spending
a few weeks in New York City went to Norwalk, Connecticut, where he was engaged in the jewelry business for ten
years. In 1811, accompanied by his wife and five children, he made an overland journey to Ohio, coming by team
to Erie County. From his brother in law, John Beatty, he bought land lying near the present site of Bloomingville,
becoming a pioneer of that section of the state, and the first preacher to locate permanently in that vicinity.
He preached in different places, assisted in organizing many churches, being ever an active, faithful worker in
the Master's vineyard. He died at his farm house, near Spears Corners, his remains being laid to rest in the rural
cemetery near Bogart. He married Susan Beatty, who was born in Ireland, and died on the home farm in 1848, the
same year that he did, at the age of seventy years.
William D: Gurley, the Doctor's maternal grandfather, was born July 31, 1811, in Norwalk, Connecticut, and was
but an infant when brought to Erie County, where he grew to manhood amid pioneer scenes. It is said that in 1832
he walked from Milan, Ohio, to Chicago, where he found a very small village, containing a fort, five stores, and
six houses, all of which were made of logs. Returning to Ohio, he followed his trade of a wagonmaker in Perkins
Township, and also engaged in general farming, remaining there until his death, in 1896, at the venerable age of
eighty five years. The house which he and his family occupied was quite a pretentious structure for those days,
having been built of stone in 1822. He married Nancy Jane Stevenson, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1817, and
died in Perkins Township in 1880. They reared six children, their daughter Sarah, the Doctor's mother, being now
a resident of Bogart. To her and her husband four children were born, as follows: Eva; James D., the special subject
of this sketch; Jessie; and Lelia.
Completing the course of study in the district schools, James D. Parker was subsequently graduated from the Sandusky
High School with the class of 1894. Going then to Cleveland, he attended lectures at the homoeopathic medical department
of the Ohio State University, and was there graduated in 1900 with the degree of It D. He has since been successfully
engaged in the practice of medicine at Sandusky, where his professional knowledge and skill have won for him an
extensive and lucrative patronage.
The Doctor belongs to the leading medical organizations of the country, including the Ohio Homoeopathic Medical
Association; the American Institute; and the American Railway Surgeons' Association. Fraternally he is a member
of Science Lodge No. 50, Free and Accepted Masons; of Sandusky City Chapter No. 72, Royal Arch Masons; of Sandusky
City Council No. 26, Royal and Select Masters; of Erie Commandery No. 23, Knights Templars; and of the Toledo Consistory.
Dr. Parker married, in 1900, Frances Glen Day, who was born at Elmore, Ohio, a daughter of Amos and Edna Day, and
into the pleasant home thus established five children have made their advent, namely: Ruth, Virginia, James, Watson,
A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio
By: Hewson L. Peeke
Assisted by a Board of Advisory Editors
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1916
Erie County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium