WILLIAM Y. MURSCHEL. Enterprising, far seeing and progressive, William Y. Mursehel is numbered among the useful
and valued citizens of Sandusky, where he is now living, retired from active business pursuits, although the management
of his private interests keeps him quite busily employed. A son of Jacob Murschel, he was born February 10, 1859,
in Norwalk, Huron County, Ohio, of substantial German ancestry. Jacob Murschel was born in Bernhausen, Wurtemburg,
Germany, where his parents spent their entire lives. One of his brothers, Michael Murschel, came to America, settling
in Sandusky, where numerous of his descendants are now living, and a sister, also immigrated to Ohio, and here
married a Mr. Stump, of Flat Rock, Seneca County. In common with the boys of his native land, Jacob Murschel attended
school until about fourteen years of age, after which he served a full apprenticeship at the baker's trade, and
likewise spent three years in the German army. Enthused by the glowing stories told of the glorious opportunities
America offered for increasing one's financial condition, he decided to follow the ocean course previously taken
by so many of his countrymen, and set sail on a stanch vessel bound for New York, where, at the end of six weeks,
he landed. From that city he proceeded by rail to Buffalo, thence on a Lake Erie boat to Sandusky, which was then
but a modest appearing village. Continuing his journey to Huron County, he worked a short time at his trade in
Norwalk, and then bought the City Hotel, which he managed himself in addition to running his bakery. Shortly after
he assumed its possession, an epidemic of cholera struck the city, eighteen people dying of that terrible disease
in his hotel. Closing it, he took his family to Flat Rock, Seneca County, where he remained until all danger from
cholera had passed, when he returned to Norwalk, and resumed his former business pursuits.
In 1862 he removed with his family to Bellevue, Huron County, and was there in active business two years. The year
following he was engaged in farming at Weaver's Corners, and in 1865 he came to Sandusky, and having purchased
the Bing House, located on West Market Street, he conducted it successfully for five years. Then, buying out Leonard
Good's grocery store, on East Market Street, he operated it four years, building up a good trade. Selling out in
1874, he removed to Hayes Avenue, where he continued in the grocery business a few years. Again he made another
change, disposing of his grocery, and buying the hotel located opposite the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway
depot, which he conducted five years. He then sold the hotel, and subsequently lived retired until his death. in
Jacob Murschel married Margaret Yingling, who was born in Rudesheim, Wurtemburg, Germany, and at the age Of fifteen
years came to this country with several other young ladies of about her age. After living with a German family
in Sandusky for a time, she went to Norwalk, and there lived in the family of Mr. Gardner, the banker, who died
in 1915, an esteemed and venerable man of ninety five years. Mrs. Jacob Murschel survived her husband many years,
passing away April 5, 1915. She was the mother of five children, as follows: William Y., the special subject of
this brief sketch; Charles; Jacob; Fred, and Albert.
Having completed the course of study in the public schools of Sandusky, William Y. Murschel began as a boy to assist
his father, working in hotel and grocery, and finally succeeding him in business. Mr. Murschel established the
hotel known as the Mursehel House, which stands opposite the new Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway station,
and managed it successfully until 1910, being a most genial and popular host, ever attentive to the wants of his
guests. Since leaving the hotel, he has lived retired, devoting his time and attention to the direction of his
private affairs. At the present writing, in 1915, he and his son Alfred are erecting an up to date six apartment
building on West Washington Street.
Mr. Mursehel has been twice married. He married first, in 1881, Anna Scheadler, who was born on Kelleys Island,
a daughter of August and Christina Scheadler. She died eighteen months later, leaving one daughter, Clara, who
became the wife of Fred W. Grabel, and has one child, William Grabcl. In 1884 Mr. Murschel married for his second
wife Elizabeth Louise Wilke, who was born in Allison, Clinton County, where her parents, Gottlieb and Johanna Louise
(Arndt) Wilke, first lived on coming to Ohio from their German home, near Berlin, although they spent the larger
number of their years in Ottawa County.
The union of Mr. and Mrs. Murschel has been brightened by the birth of three children, Alfred, Arthur and Leona.
Alfred married Adah Appel, and they have one child, a son named Alfred William. Leona married Donald Kelley, son
of Hon. Malcolm Kelley. Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of the Maccabees, and of Sandusky Lodge No. 285,
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
Mr. Murschel enjoys seeing new places and new things, and having traveled quite extensively he has gained a comprehensive
knowledge of many parts of our own and other countries. In 1899, accompanied by Mrs. Murschel, he toured Mexico,
visiting the principal points of interest therein, and in 1900, with his son Alfred and his daughter Clara, made
a trip to Europe, and while there went to Wurtemburg and saw the houses in which his father and mother were born.
He also visited the more important cities of Germany, Italy, Switzerland, France and England, in Paris attending
the World's Fair, then in progress, and later witnessing the presentation of the passian play in Ober Ammergau.
A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio
By: Hewson L. Peeke
Assisted by a Board of Advisory Editors
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1916
Erie County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium