LANE LOCKWOOD was born April 22, 1838, in Ottawa County, Ohio, and is a son of W. B. and Sarah (Hyde) Lockwood.
W. B. Lockwood was born at Albany, New York, and in early life came to Ottawa County, where he entered upon a career
in which he was engaged in various pursuits, all connected with the rising commercial and industrial interests
of this rapidly advancing part of Ohio. One of his earliest ventures was in mining gypsum. In 1850 Mr. Lockwood
took up his residence at Sandusky, where he entered the mercantile business. His energies also found an outlet
in shipping, operating a line of boats on the bay and Great Lakes. He took an interest also in public affairs,
was active in politics and at one time served as auditor of Ottawa County. In early life a whig, when the republican
party was founded he joined that organization and remained a stanch advocate of the principles of the grand old
party up to the time of his death. He was the father of five children, of whom four are living, Lane being the
second in order of birth.
Lane Lockwood was reared in Ottawa County, where he received a somewhat limited education in the public schools,
and when the Civil war came on joined an Ohio regiment of volunteer infantry and served under the flag of the Union.
He was paymaster's clerk several months and served 100 days in 1864. In 1867 he began his banking career, which
extended over a period of forty years, and this line of endeavor continued to occupy his labors and ability until
the time of his retirement. He was assistant postmaster for about six years. Mr. Lockwood was a member of the Sandusky
Board of Education for eight years. Fraternally he is well known in Masonry, having gone through all the Masonic
bodies up to and including the commandery. He has always taken an interest in his old army comrades and is a member
of McMeans Post No. 191, G. A. R., of which he was adjutant five years. His first presidential vote was cast for
Abraham Lincoln, and since that time he has supported the candidates and policies of the republican party.
On November 23, 1864, Mr. Lockwood was united in marriage with Mary P. Gill of Ottawa County, and the children
born to this union are as follows: Mrs. Louise L. Crawford, Mrs. Anna G. Fyffe and Miss Mary Ruth Lockwood.
A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio
By: Hewson L. Peeke
Assisted by a Board of Advisory Editors
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1916
Erie County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium