FRANKLIN FREES LEHMAN, M. D. For more than twenty years engaged in the practice of medicine at Sandusky, Doctor
Lehman has an excellent practice, and has worthily won his place in professional life. As a young man he was ambitious
to secure a liberal education, and worked for most of it teaching school and by other occupations defraying his
expenses until graduating from college and medical schools, and as a result of this experience and his self made
career, was all the better equipped for a successful accomplishment in his chosen field of work.
Franklin Frees Lehman was born on a farm near Wooster in Wayne County, Ohio. His father, Ephraim Lehman, was born
in the same locality August 11, 1826, while the grandfather John Lehman was born in Berks County, Pennsylvania,
August 14, 1792. The great grandfather, Martin Lehman, was a native of Alsace-Loraine, and so far as known was
the only member of his immediate family to come to America. He came to this country when a young man, located in
Berks County, where he married a German girl, and they spent the rest of their days in Pennsylvania, and were the
parents of a large family. Grandfather John Lehman was reared and educated in Berks County, and there learned the
trade of miller. On leaving Pennsylvania he came to Ohio, accompanied by his family, and making the entire journey
by the overland route with wagon and team. He located as one of the pioneers in Wayne County, where he bought a
tract of 160 acres of land about four miles from Wooster. The only improvements on this land comprised about four
acres of cleared ground with a rude log cabin. Nearly all the rest of it was covered with a heavy growth of timber.
John Lehman was a vigorous type of the early pioneer, possessed industry and the faculty of hard work with good
business judgment, and with increasing prosperity continued to buy other lands and in time had a large estate.
He lived in Wayne County until his death at the advanced age of ninety seven years. He was twice married, was the
father of eighteen children, and thirteen of these reached maturity. The maiden name of his first wife, the grandmother
of Doctor Lehman, was Miss Bear. For a number of years the grandfather lived in a log cabin, but subsequently built
a substantial house of hewed timber, and that was occupied as a dwelling until recent years.
Ephraim Lehman grew up on the old farm, and at the time of his marriage located on a place adjoining the old homestead,
subsequently succeeding to the ownership of the old farm of his father. He continued successfully as a general
farmer and stock raiser for many years, but now lives retired at Bloomington, a suburb of Wooster. He married Susanna
Frees, who was born in the same locality as her husband August 11, 1834. She was one of the seven children of Jacob
and Salome (Billman) Frees. She died in October, 1913. The three children who grew up were Franklin Frees, Cora,
wife of W. M. Glasgow of Wooster, and Floyd Vinton, a resident of Seville in Medina County, where he successfully
conducts one of the largest utility poultry farms in the state.
Doctor Lehman spent his boyhood on the old farm in Wayne County. His first advantages were given him at rural schools,
and he received his preparatory college education in the University of Wooster. During the four years he attended
that institution he boarded at home, and rode back and forth to school, a distance of four miles, every day. Following
this he was for three years a student in the Ohio Northern University at Ada, and paid most of his expenses by
teaching school in Miami County during the intervals of his own school attendance.
Doctor Lehman acquired his higher literary and professional education in Ann Arbor, Michigan. In the fall of 1884
he entered the University of Michigan and was graduated A. B. in 1888. Then followed one year of teaching as principal
of the high school at Marquette, Michigan. He then returned to Ann Arbor and entered the homeopathic department
of the university, graduating with the degree of M. D. in 1891. The following eighteen months were spent as an
interne in the homeopathic hospital at Rochester, New York, followed by general practice in Rochester until November,
1893. Since the latter date Doctor Lehman has been located at Sandusky, and with mature experience and a reputation
for skillful work enjoys a large practice and a fine reputation as a physician and surgeon.
In 1904 Doctor Lehman married Mrs. Mary A. Raikes, daughter of William and Jane Coles, an old Erie County family,
record of whom is given on other pages. Dr. and Mrs. Lehman have two children: John Frees and Ellen Margaret. Doctor
Lehman is a member of the Northwestern Ohio Homeopathic Medical Society, the Ohio State Homeopathic Society and
the American Institute of Homeopathy. He is affiliated with Science Lodge No. 50, F. & A. M., with Sandusky
City Chapter No. 72, R. A. M., and with Sandusky City Council No. 26, R. & S. M. He also belongs to the Modern
Woodmen of America and the Royal Neighbors of America and to the Sunyendeand Club.
A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio
By: Hewson L. Peeke
Assisted by a Board of Advisory Editors
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1916
Erie County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium