CHARLES KUBACH. Noteworthy among the native born citizens of Sandusky who have spent their lives within its
precincts, aiding as far as possible the city's growth and development, is Charles Kubach, a man of unquestioned
ability and integrity. He comes of excellent German ancestry, his father, Frederick Kubach, and his grandfather,
George Kubach, having emigrated from Germany to Ohio during the first half of the last century, settling in Sandusky.
George Kubach was born, in 1791, in the Village of Liedolsheim, Kingdom of Baden, Germany, and was there bred and
educated. Fitting himself for a veterinary surgeon, he served as such in the German army for a number of years.
In 1835 he embarked with his family on board a sailing vessel, and after a tedious ocean voyage of forty two days
landed in New York. Coming directly to Ohio, he arrived in Sandusky on June 8th of that year. Looking about for
a desirable location, he bought a tract of timbered land in Perkins Township, five miles south of the Sandusky
courthouse, on the Blooraingville road, now known as South Campbell Street. Clearing a space in the forest, he
built a log house, covering it with clapboards rived by hand, and fastened with poles, and making a clay and stick
chimney. This was the first home of the Kubach family in America. Bears, deer, wild turkey and other kinds of game
were plentiful, and, with the fish caught in the nearby streams, were of much importance in the filling of the
family larder. A man of perseverance and resolution, he at once began the improvement of his land, for several
years thereafter having no horse, but doing the work with oxen. With true German thrift, he utilized all the timber
he cut off, selling the giant oaks to shipbuilders, and the cord wood to the boat owners, at the boat landings.
He likewise burned charcoal, which was then used by all blacksmiths, making a good profit thereby. He likewise
established a smithy on his farm, and did blacksinithing for himself and his neighbors, making and saving money
by so doing. He cleared thirty acres of his estate, and subsequently replaced the original log cabin with a substantial
two story house made of hewed logs, and erected a frame barn. On the homestead which he so well improved, he spent
the remainder of his life, dying in September, 1854.
The maiden name of the wife of George Kubach was Eva Catherine Heimberg. She was born, December 20, 1799, in the
Village of Bleinkenloch, Baden, Germany, and died September 4, 1878. To her and her husband eight sons were born
and reared, as follows: Frederick, Louis, August, Henry, John Albany, William, Adam, and Gottfried.
Frederick Kubach was born, in 1822, in the same village of Baden, Germany, in which his father first saw the light
of this world, and as a boy of thirteen years came with his parents to Ohio. He assisted his father in clearing
the land and tilling the soil for a few years, and then, being the eldest son of a large family of boys, began
life on his own account. Moving into the City of Sandusky, he was busily employed in different kinds of work until
his death, at the early age of forty six years. His wife, whose maiden name was Magdalene Schoepfle, was born in
the Village of Kreitzingen, Baden, Germany, and is now living in Sandusky, at the venerable age of eighty two years.
She bore her husband five children, as follows: Frederick, deceased; Christina, deceased; August; Charles, and
Acquiring his early education in the public schools of Sandusky, Charles Kubach began his active career when young
as a clerk in the grocery store of his uncle, George Van Hansen, with whom he remained three years. Subsequently
learning the trade of a sheet metal and copper worker, he continued at that occupation about seven years. For five
years thereafter Mr. Kubach was connected with the grocery business, and the following two years belonged to the
city fire department. He was then employed for a while in the Baltimore & Ohio Express office, but resigned
his position to become a clerk for Lay Brothers' Fish Company. At the end of thirteen years he was appointed deputy
county treasurer, and filled the position satisfactorily for three years, when he was elected county auditor, an
office that he held for six consecutive years, his length of service in that capacity bespeaking his ability and
trustworthiness. The following two years Mr. Kubach was in the employ of the Booth Fisheries Company. Then, having
become financially interested in the Post Fish Company, he was made secretary of the corporation, and has held
this responsible position since.
In 1877 Mr. Kubach married Miss Lena Hassenpflug, a daughter of George Ilassenpfiug, who emigrated from Germany
to America, settling in Sandusky, Ohio. Four children have been born of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Kubach, namely:
Frederick, who married. Elizabeth Schneider; Lillian; Allen, who married Minnie Schneider; and Alma.
Politically Mr. Kubach is a democrat. He served for twelve years as a member of the Sandusky Board of Education,
ten years of the time being secretary of the board. At the present writing, in 1915, he is a member of the city
council, having been elected as a member at large. Fraternally Mr. Knbach is a member of Sandusky Lodge No. 128,
Knights of Pythias; of Garfield Company, Uniform Rank No. 13; of Sandusky Aerie No. 444, Fraternal Order of Eagles;
of Hobson Camp No. 5649, Modern Woodmen of America; of Sandusky Court No. 739, Independent Order of Foresters;
and of Sandusky Lodge No. 285, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio
By: Hewson L. Peeke
Assisted by a Board of Advisory Editors
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1916
Erie County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium