JUDGE EDMUND B. KING Among the men whom Sandusky and Erie County have long since learned to value for their
personal character and ability of service is Judge Edmund B. King, who has for fully forty years been actively
identified with the bar in that city and is a former judge of the circuit bench. Judge King is a man who conceives
citizenship as a duty involving unremitting service in the general interests of the community. He exercised a wise
choice in making the law his profession, and he has long stood as one of the leaders of the Sandusky bar.
Edmund B. King was born in a log house in Mentville Township of Medina County, Ohio, on the 4th of July, 1850.
His family were among the early settlers of Northern Ohio. His father, Cyrus King, was born in the Town of Pompey,
Onondaga County, New York, while the grandfather, Joel King, was a native of Rhode Island and of colonial ancestry.
Joel King brought his family out to the wilds of Onondaga County about 1810, and was one of the early settlers
at Pompey, where he spent the rest of his life as a farmer. Cyrus King acquired a good education in the common
schools of New York State, and as a young man learned the trade of carpenter. At the age of twenty one he started
for the West, making the journey by the lake from Buffalo and landing at Cleveland, which was then a very small
city. He was employed at his trade there during the summer season and taught a country school in the winter. As
carpenter it should be mentioned he assisted in erecting the first buildings of the Western Reserve College at
Hudson, and was also employed a time at his trade in Akron After that for several years he was a resident of Wadsworth
Township in Medina County, where he alternated his trade and his work as a teacher but after his marriage bought
fifty acres of land in Mentville Township, three miles from the City of Medina. About half of this land was cleared,
and the rest in heavy timber A log house and a small frame barn constituted the bulk of the improvements. There
he began the solid work of his life, following his trade part of the time and also superintending the operation
of the farm, to which he subsequently added fifty acres. Late in life he left the farm and lived retired in Medina
until his death at the age of eighty two years and six months. Cyrus King married Harriet Bennett, who was born
in Wadsworth Township of Medina County, where her father, Timothy Bennett, was a pioneer settler. Mrs. Cyrus King
died at the early age of twenty seven.
Judge King spent his early boyhood and youth on the old farm above mentioned, and in, the meantime attended the
country schools. He was ambitious to acquire a higher education, and partly with such assistance as his father
could give him and partly from means earned by his own labor he attended the public schools of Medina City and
also the Oberlin Academy and took a course in Baldwin University. During his student days he was a teacher, and
taught two terms in Townsend Township of Huron County. He took up the study of law in the office of Wickham and
Wildman at Norwalk, and was admitted to the Ohio bar in August, 1873. In October of the same year he was elected
prosecuting attorney for Medina County and filled that office until the fall of 1875, when he resigned in order
to locate in the City of Sandusky. He was soon recognized as one of the coming lawyers and now for many years has
controlled a large and profitable practice.
On February 26, 1874, Mr. King married Emma Hackett, who was born in Huron County, Ohio, a daughter of Abner and
Hannah Hackett. Judge King and wife have two children, Cora and Clifford M. Cora is the wife of Thaddeus Graves
of Hatfield, Massachusetts, and has three children, named Elizabeth, Edmund King and Janet. Clifford M., a graduate
of the Western Reserve University with the degree A. B., and from the technical department of Cornell University
with the degree in civil engineering, is now practicing his profession, and married Edith Davis.
Judge King cast his first presidential vote for General Grant and has been a stanch republican for many years.
He was elected presidential elector in the campaign of 1888, and sat as a member of the Ohio Constitutional Convention
of 1912, and did some valuable work in framing the present organic law for the state. In 1894 he was honored by
election to the office of judge of the sixth judicial district, and filled that position nearly five years, finally
resigning in order to resume his private practice. He has for many years been an active member of the Ohio Bar
Association, and in 1904 was a delegate to the Universal Congress of Lawyers and Jurists at St. Louis. Outside
of his profession his chief business interest is as president of the Lincoln Stove Company of Fremont. Judge King
is affiliated with Lodge No. 50, F. & A. M.; Sandusky City Chapter No. 72, R. A. M.; Sandusky City Council
No. 26, R. & S. M.; Erie Cammandery No. 23, K. T.; Alkoran Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Cleveland; Toledo
Consistory, A. A. Scottish Rite, and is a Mason of the thirty third degree. He is a past grand commander of the
Knights Templars of Ohio. At one time he was active in the Ohio National Guard, serving as second lieutenant, later
as captain and finally as major in the Sixteenth Regiment, Ohio National Guard, from 1880 to 1897, inclusive.
A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio
By: Hewson L. Peeke
Assisted by a Board of Advisory Editors
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1916
Erie County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium