THEODORE HAHN It has been the mission of Theodore Hahn to have been identified in his fortunes with Milan Township
since 1891, and through his energy and good judgment to have promoted agricultural interests here during that period.
When he entered upon his independent career, he had little to aid him save native thrift, industry and ambition,
but these he has turned to such good advantage that he is now the possessor of a handsome property in the northeast
corner of the township and of a reputation for honorable and straightforward dealing that gives him the esteem
and regard of his fellow citizens.
Mr. Hahn was born August 7, 1866, in Hesse Nassau, Germany, and is a son of Conrad and Elizabeth (Orth) Hahn. The
parents were small farmers in the fatherland, and resided there until 1871, when, after the birth of all their
children they decided that better opportunities could be found in America and accordingly came to this country,
boarding ship at Bremen and making port at New York, in June of that year. From the metropolis the little party
made their way to Erie County. Ohio, and settled in Huron Township, on the Bogart Road, where Conrad Hahn continued
to be engaged in agricultural pursuits during the remainder of his life, and where his death occurred April 14,
1915, at the age of eighty seven years. He was a thrifty, energetic farmer, a homemaker and a good citizen, and
throughout his long career so conducted himself and his transactions as to win and maintain his fellow citizens'
respect and confidence. As a builder and developer of the county, he contributed a handsome farm, well improved
in every way, with large, modern and attractive buildings. His family was reared in the faith of the German Reformed
Church, and his children have proved valuable additions to whatever community they have been called. Mrs. Hahn,
who still survives at the age of eighty one years, lives at the home of her son, Adam Hahn, a review of whose career,
elsewhere in this work, contains a more comprehensive sketch of the family's history.
Theodore Hahn was reared and educated in Huron Township, and there made his home with his parents until 1891. In
that year he entered upon his independent career when he purchased his present farm, located on the Wikel Road,
in the northeast corner of Milan Township. He has fifty acres, forty of which are under cultivation, and these
are operated for farming, fruit growing and stock raising, in all of which branches Mr. Hahn has met with well
merited and satisfying success. He rotates his crops, running from corn to oats, wheat and clover, and then back,
a system which he finds brings him excellent results. Mr. Hahn has an attractive dwelling, pure white in color,
with eight rooms and all modern conveniences and comforts. His barn is 36 by 62 feet, gray colored, with a slate
roof, and a lean to for tools, etc., attached, 12 by 36 feet. Every department of this modern farm evidences the
presence of good management, and the atmosphere of the place is that of prosperity and comfort.
Mr. Hahn was married first to Miss Mary Blatt, who died leaving one daughter: Minnie M. C. born September 7, 1894,
educated in the Berlin Township public schools and the Sandusky Business College, and now residing at home with
her father. Mr. Hahn was again married, September 13, 1899, in Huron Township, to Mrs. Anna (Dippel) James, who
was born September 1, 1871, in the City of Cleveland, Ohio, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Weiss) iippel, natives
respectively of Hesse Nassau and Hesse Darmstadt, Germany. They came to the United States as young people and met
and were married at Cleveland, where for many years Mr. Dippel was foreman for the Doane Oil Refining Company,
and later was made its superintendent. In the meantime he had established himself in the coal business, and finally
resigned to give his entire attention to that line, in which he was successfully engaged for over thirty years.
He and his wife were leading and influential members of the German Evangelical Church, in which he was president
of the board of trustees for many years. Mr. Dippel died in December, 1912, aged sixty eight years, eleven months,
while Mrs. Dippel passed away in April, 1913, aged seventy years. By her former marriage, to the late George R.
J ames, Mrs. Hahn has one daughter: Florence, horn December 5, 1892, who was educated in the Erie County public
Mr. Hahn is an independent voter and not a politician.
A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio
By: Hewson L. Peeke
Assisted by a Board of Advisory Editors
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1916
Erie County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium