IRA T. DAVIS. A man of sterling worth and pronounced ability, the late Ira T. Davis was for many years closely
associated with the advancement of the mercantile interests of Sandusky, and later, as an extensive dealer in real
estate, did much toward promoting the business prosperity of the city. A son of David Davis, he was born, March
22, 1831, at Cora in, Long island, New York, coming from substantial Welsh ancestry.
A native of New York. David Davis was born on Long Island, December 18, 1801. Learning the trade of a. carpenter,
he followed it in his native county until 1840, when he migrated to Oswego County, New York, locating near Phoenix,
where he bought a tract of timbered land, and when not busy at his trade was engaged in tilling the soil. Disposing
of his farm in 1848, he purchased a home in Baldwinsville, Onondaga County, and wads there a resident for six years.
Coming to Eric County. Ohio, in 1854, he settled permanently in Smiduksy, and was here employed as a carpenter
and builder during the remainder of his active life, dying at his home on April 5, 1879. He married Charity Bayless,
who was born on Long Island, where her father, Thomas Bayless, spent his entire life. She passed to the higher
life June 1, 1895, at the venerable age of eighty eight years. She reared five children, namely: Urania, Ira T.,
John R, Maria A., and Joshua Bayless.
Brought up and educated in the Empire State, Ira T. Davis came to Sandusky to live about 1850, and soon after established
himself in the grocery business on the east side of Columbus Avenue, between Market and Water streets, where he
built up the extensive business now so successfully conducted bye his nephew, Frank E. Davis. He continued there
twenty one years, and was afterwards engaged in the dry goods business for five years. His health failing, owing
to his close confinement in the store, he sought employment that would keep him out of doors, and embarking in
the real estate business, built up a lucrative patronage. and continued a resident of Sandusky until hips death,
which occurred April 11, 1911.
Mr. Davis married, October 30, 1856, Eunice Ann Woolsey, who was born March 27, 1838, in Auburn, New York, and
is of honored English ancestry, being a collateral descendant of Cardinal Woolsey. Her father, Luther S. Woolsey,
Jr., was born in New York State, as was his father, Luther S. Woolsey, Sr. Soon after his marriage, he bought land
in Jordan, New York, and was there engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death, at the comparatively early
age of fifty three years. His wife, whose maiden name was Keturah Bloomer, was a native of New York, her birth
having occurred at Marlborough on the Hudson, November 27, 1795. She survived her husband, and died at the home
of her son Hiram, in Fort Wayne, Indiana, at the advanced age of four score and four years. Luther S. and Keturah
Woolsey became the parents of fourteen children, twelve of whom grew to years of maturity, as follows: Elizabeth;
Isaac B.; Asa T.; David; Johnston V.; Rebekah; Eveline; Luther S.; Charles; Mary; Eunice Ann, now Mrs. Davis; and
On October 30, 1906, Mr. and Mrs. Davis celebrated their golden wedding in the very home in which they began life
together as bride and groom, and in which Mrs. Davis and her daughter Caroline are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Davis
reared five children, namely: Adelbert B., Jennie D., Caroline O., Hattie, and Charles W. Adelbert married Lucy
Cook, of Cincinnati, Ohio, and they have two children, Seth and Leonora. Jennie; now the wife of Dr. Charles E.
Stroud, D. D. S., of Sandusky, has two children, Edgar J. and Ira T. Hattie, who married Burt I. Lamb, of Sandusky,
now of Norwalk, Ohio, has eight children, Eunice, Horace, Margery, Davis, Robert, Edward, Willis, and John. Charles
W., of Dallas, Texas, married Hester Perry, of Baltimore, Maryland, and they have two children, Caroline and Perry.
Seth Davis, the eldest child of Adelbert Davis, married George De Witt, of Sandusky, and they have three children,
De Witt, Seth, Jr., and Margery Ann Ira T. Stroud, the oldest son of Dr. and Mrs. Stroud, married Josephine Renner,
and they have two children, Charles and John. Edgar J., of Fort Wayne, Indiana, the youngest son, married Opal
Pursley of Fort Wayne. As will be seen by the above record, Mrs. Davis has fourteen grandchildren now, in June,
1915, and five great grandchildren. Mrs. Davis, although well advanced in years, retains full possession of her
mental faculties, and show few of the marks of age, unless we regard as such the wisdom and serenity that happily
come from useful activity, wide experience, and cheerful content. Miss Caroline Davis was graduated from the Sandusky
High School with the class of 1884, and since January, 1886, has been successfully engaged in teaching. Becoming
interested in Masonry through her father, she is now a member of the Eleanor Chapter No. 331, Order of the Eastern
Star. Fraternally Mr. Davis was a member of Science Lodge No. 50, Free and Accepted Masons; of Sandusky Chapter,
No. 72, Royal Arch Masons; of Sandusky Council No. 26, Royal and Select Masters; and of Erie Commandery No. 23,
Knights Templar. He was a regular attendant of the Congregational Church, of which Mrs. Davis is a valued member.
A Standard History of Erie County, Ohio
By: Hewson L. Peeke
Assisted by a Board of Advisory Editors
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1916
Erie County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium