Biography of Harvey E. Yoder
Cuyahoga County, OH Biographies

HARVEY ELMER YODER, M. D. Among those whose names have figured prominently in connection with the medical profession of Cleveland during the past two decades and whose labors have proved most valuable and effective both in private practice and in hospital work is Dr. Harvey Elmer Yoder, whose career is typical of modern progress and advancement. Since 1904 his professional service has been discharged with a keen sense of conscientious obligation, and his skill is evidenced through results which have followed his labors.

Doctor Yoder was born on the old Yoder farm near North Industry, Stark County, Ohio, March 20, 1877, and is a son of Samuel and Mollie (Schaeffer) Yoder. Samuel Yoder was born in Wayne County, Ohio, September 17, 1843, the son of Eli Yoder, a native of Pennsylvania, who was a pioneer of Wayne County, as well as of Stark County, to which latter he removed when Samuel Yoder was still a boy. Samuel Yoder, in early days, was a merchant at North Industry, but in the main has been engaged in agricultural operations, and his farm is one of the best improved properties in Stark County. He is a man of good citizenship, personal probity and public spirit, and has the full confidence and esteem of the people of his community, who have recognized and appreciate his numerous good qualities. The mother of Doctor Yoder was born on a farm in Stark County, January 31, 1848, the daughter of an early settler of the North Industry neighborhood, and she died in 1920. Her mother was a native of Strasburg, France, who came to the United States when she was a girl of twelve years.

Harvey Elmer Yoder was reared on the old homestead, and in the meantime acquired his primary education in the district school in the neighborhood of the home place and the public school at North Industry. In September, 1895, he entered Hiram College, where he took his high school course and one year of college work, and then spent one year at the Ohio State University. Four years at the Western Reserve Medical School followed, and in 1904 he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. On leaving the university he spent one year as interne at St. Johns Hospital, Cleveland, and then entered general practice in the offices which he now occupies at 8900 Lorain Avenue, corner of Eighty ninth Street. He has built up a large and representative practice, and has been given the confidence of the people of his community, while from his professional brethren he has received the respectful treatment given only to those who observe the highest ideals of the profession. Doctor Yoder is a member of the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, the Ohio State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. Fraternally he is affiliated with Guyer Lodge No. 728, Knights of Pythias, and the Phi Rho Sigma college fraternity. His religious connection is with Bethany congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. On October 29, 1918, Doctor Yoder was commissioned a first lieutenant in the United States Army Medical Corps, and was on duty at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, when the armistice was signed marking the close of hostilities.

Doctor Yoder was united in marriage with Miss Blanche Lash, daughter of David F. Lash, of Bolivar, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and they have two daughters: Doris Ruth, who was born December 16, 1915; and Virginia Eleanor, who was born May 28, 1917. The pleasant family residence of Doctor and Mrs. Yoder is located at No. 2141 West Ninety eighth Street.

A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies

Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z



New York



For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012