Biography of Dr. Robert W. Williams
Cuyahoga County, OH Biographies

ROBERT WALTER WILLIAM, M. D., whose office is at 2700 West Twenty fifth Street, has gained success and high standing as one of the able physicians and surgeons of his native city, his birth having occurred at the family home on Columbus Road, on the West Side of Cleveland, July 20, 1872, and this part of the city is the stage of his successful professional activities at the present time.

Doctor Williams is a son of Samuel Alfred and Mary Agnes (Sullivan) Williams. Samuel A. Williams was born at Westport, New York, on the shore of Lake Champlain, in the year 1849, and was a son of Capt. Samuel Alfred Williams, who likewise was a native of the old Empire State and whose active career was one of close association with seafaring interests. During the last few years of his active life Captain Williams was in command of the fine pleasure yacht of Dr. Seward Webb, who married a daughter of William Vanderbilt, a son of Comomdore Cornelius Vanderbilt. Samuel A. Williams, father of the subject of this review, early became associated with the hotel business, and it was while he was clerk in one of the leading old time hotels in New York City that he met and married Miss Mary Agnes Sullivan, who was thirteen years of age when she came from her native County Cork, Ireland, and joined an older sister in New York City. On their honeymoon trip Mr. and Mrs. Williams came to Cleveland, Ohio, and here he soon entered the employ of the Chicago, Cleveland, Cincinnati & Saint Louis (Big Four) Railroad, in the service of which he continued during the remainder of his active career, the while the family home was maintained in Cleveland. Here his death occurred in 1918, and his widow, now seventy three years of age (1924), resides in the home of her son, Dr. Robert W. The doctor is the eldest of the three children; Samuel Alfred II is sales manager for the Atlas Car and Manufacturing Company of Cleveland, and Charles Harry met an accidental death in 1896. The widowed mother and the two surviving sons are communicants of Saint John's Church, Protestant Episcopal, as was also the father, and of the choir of this parish the sons were members in their boyhood.

The public schools of Cleveland afforded Doctor Williams his preliminary education, which was supplemented by a course in Calvin College. In 1899 he was graduated from the Cleveland College of Physicians and Surgeons, constituting the medical department of the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, and after thus gaining his degree of Doctor of Medicine he had eighteen months of valuable clinical experience as an interne in the Cleveland General Hospital, which has since been reorganized as Saint Luke's Hospital. The doctor has since been established in the general practice of his profession on the West Side of his native city, and the scope and character of his professional business attest alike his technical skill and his personal popularity. He is a member of the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, the Ohio State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. The doctor married Miss Emma R. Kees, who was born and reared in Cleveland, where her father, William F. Kees, is prominently engaged in the insurance business.

In conclusion is given a record concerning an important and specially noteworthy phase in the career of Doctor Williams, that pertaining to his loyal and effective service in connection with the nation's participation in the great World war. April 10, 1917, only four days after the United States entered the war, Doctor Williams was commissioned, at Columbus, Ohio, a first lieutenant in the United States Medical Corps and was assigned to duty with Major Bond at the Federal Building in Cleveland. On the 8th of the following June he was ordered to report at Camp Benjamin Harrison, Indianapolis, Indiana, and on the 17th of August he was transferred to Camp Sherman, Ohio, and assigned to duty with the Medical Corps of the Three Hundred and Twenty second Field Artillery. November 12, 1917, Doctor Williams was assigned to staff duty at the division surgical headquarters at Camp Sherman, and on the 25th of that month he was commissioned captain. He at this time was transferred to the surgeon's headquarters of this camp, as assistant camp surgeon, and September 25, 1918, he was commissioned major in the Medical Corps of the United States Army, his vital and able service at Camp Sherman having continued until he received his honorable discharge, January 1, '1919. The doctor still holds the rank of major in the Reserve Medical Corps of the United States Army. He had received valuable training in military tactics prior to the World war through his membership in the Cleveland Greys, the crack military organization of Ohio. He has been a member of this organization twenty three years, and in the same now holds the rank of lieutenant. The year 1922 finds Doctor Williams in service as commander of Henry P. Shupe Post No. 22, American Legion, besides being a member of the executive board of the Cuyahoga County Council of the American Legion and of the "Forty Hommes et Eight Chevaux" of this great patriotic order. He is affiliated with Lakewood Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and in the great fraternity has received the thirty second degree of the Scottish Rite, his advancement in the Scottish Rite of Masonry having occurred while he was in military service and he being thus a member of the Consistory at Indianapolis. though he is affiliated with Aladdin Temple of the Mystic Shrine in Columbus, Ohio. He is actively identified with the Cleveland Chamber of Industry and takes loyal interest in all things touching the welfare of the beautiful city in which he was born and reared.

A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies

Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z



New York



For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012