LINCOLN A. WHEELOCK, M. D., distinguished physician of the east end of Cleveland, was born on the old Wheelock
farm at Freedom, Portage County, Ohio, on the 24th of March, 1865, and is the son of De Forest and Sophronia (Parshall)
Wheelock. The ancestors of the present Wheelocks came West soon after the Revolutionary war and settled permanently
in what is now Portage County and there they remained for at least two generations engaged in farming and trading
and assisting in building up the foundation of the present gigantic commonwealth. When they first came there the
whole region to the westward was swarming with Indians who often camped along the streams in Portage County and
mingled with the whites to secure pork and flour, and perhaps captives and other victims.
The gent grandfather of Doctor Wheelock was Amariah Wheelock, who served the Colonies in the Revolution and also
fought Great Britain in the War of 1812 and was afterwards awarded, according to acts of Congress, a tract of land
in Portage County where now stands the town of Freedom. With his wife and nine children Amariah formed a wagon
train at Tyringham, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, left his old home there and started for the West in a long
and tiresome march across the mountains and valleys intervening. While on the march in the State of New York and
at a critical stage of the journey, he received a fatal stroke of paralysis and perished before the aid of a physician
could be secured. The widow and the children suffered the horrors of the situation, but, after his interment, continued
the sad journey and finally reached their destination and located on the land at Freedom which had been assigned
to Amariah by the Government.
John Wheelock, son of Amariah, and grandfather of Doctor Wheelock, became a successful farmer and a distinguished
citizen in that portion of the state and remained there on the same tract of land all the rest of his life. His
son, De Forest, father of subject, was born at Freedom and was there reared and educated. In early manhood he became
a traveling salesman and later conducted a grocery store at Slatersville. Still later he became a general merchant
at Brooklyn, now the City of Cleveland. In early manhood he married Miss Parshall, who was born at Shalersville,
Ohio, and was the daughter of Otis Parshall, one of the early and prominent settlers of that town.
Lincoln A. was reared on his father's farm and while in his adolescence learned much about the intricacies and
hardships of farm life. He was given a good education and remained on the farm until he reached the age of eleven
years, when he came with his parents to Brooklyn village (now Cleveland) in 1877 and there continued his schooling.
He graduated from the high school while quite young, and soon afterward became a bookkeeper, which occupation he
pursued for many years with success and remuneration. While yet comparatively young he was elected to the office
of township clerk of Brooklyn Township and was reelected, serving for four years with proficiency and observable
superiority. While thus serving the township he took up the study of medicine and at a later date entered the medical
school of the Western Reserve University, took the full course and was graduated with credit in 1900 with the degree
of Doctor of Medicine. He at once began the general practice of his profession and has continued the same up to
the present time both with success and high distinction. His practice has been general and embraces both medicine
and surgery. His reputation for superior skill in the science of surgery became so pronounced that in time he was
appointed surgeon for the Cleveland Street Railway Company, in which capacity he served for ten years. And for
an equal number of years he served as surgeon for the Nickel Plate Railway Company, at the same time conducting
his extensive private practice.
He is a member of the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, the Ohio State Medical Association and the American Medical
Association. He is likewise a member of Brenton B. Babcock Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and of the Cleveland
Chapter, Royal Arch Masons. He married Miss Ella, daughter of William A. Cumberworth, a veteran of the Civil war.
The children born to this marriage are, namely: Dorothy S., who married William H. Spear; Mary F., who married
Arthur E. Davies of Cleveland; they have a son named Griffith and a daughter named Mary Ellen; and Helen G. Wheelock,
who is unmarried.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium