HON. CARL VICTOR WEYGANDT, one of the younger members of the Cleveland bar, has within the space of half a dozen
years won prestige in his profession, honor in the Ohio Legislature, and a place on the bench of the Common Pleas
Court of Cuyahoga County.
Judge Veygandt was born on the farm in Baughman Township, Wayne County, Ohio, on June 14, 1888, descended alike
from Colonial ancestors and early Ohio settlers. This family is of German-French origin of the Rhine Provinces,
and during the World war furnished soldiers to both the German and French armies (General Weygandt was chief of
staff to Marshal Foch). The American ancestors came over in Colonial days and settled in Pennsylvania, and from
that state later generations came to Ohio. The great grandparents of this generation were William and Catherine
(Frase) Weygandt, the grandparents were Jacob K. and Mary (Downer) Weygandt, the parents being Judge William E.
and Cora (Mock) Weygandt (still living). Upon coming to Ohio the family settled in Baughman Township, Wayne County,
in which section members of it have been successful farmers and honored citizens.
Judge William E. Weygandt was born on the family homestead in Wayne County, Ohio, on June 1, 1864. He was graduated
from Ohio Northern University, Bachelor of Arts, in 1885, studied law at Wooster, and was admitted to the Ohio
bar in 1894, and entered practice in Wooster. He served as prosecuting attorney of Wayne County from 1898 to 1904,
and as judge of Common Pleas Court of Wayne County from 1909 to 1915, and since retiring from the bench he has
been in the very successful practice of his profession in Wooster. The judge's wife was born in Baughman Township,
Wayne County, on August 6, 1865, the daughter of Samuel and Lydia (Shisler) Mock, and to them three children have
been born: Carl V., Ross S. and Ola.
Judge Carl V. Weygandt was graduated from the Wooster High School in 1906, taught in the elementary schools for
a year, and then entered Wooster University, from where he was graduated Bachelor of Philosophy in 1912. He taught
in the Wooster High School from 1912 to 1915, and then entered Western Reserve University Law School, where he
was graduated Bachelor of Laws in 1918, and was admitted to the bar of Ohio in June of the same year, and entered
practice in Cleveland, associated with the law firm of Thompson, Hine & Flora until December, 1923, when he
became counsel for the Cleveland Automobile Club.
On June 24, 1924, Governor Donahey appointed Mr. Weygandt to the Common Pleas Court bench to fill a vacancy, the
governor having selected him from among three Cleveland attorneys recommended for the purpose by the Cleveland
Bar Association. In 1920 Judge Weygandt was elected on the democratic ticket a member of the Ohio General Assembly,
and during the regular session of 1921-22, he served as a member of the house committees on judiciary, codes, military
affairs, elections, reorganized taxation, and as a member of the House special committee to investigate the state
highway department. He introduced House Bill No. 239, amending the Dower Law of Ohio so as to give in fee simple
to a widow or widower one third of the real estate which the deceased wife or husband died possessed of; and though
the bill failed of enactment, its sound economic and moral principle is generally recognized and approved, and
will in time become a law. He also introduced House Bill No. 393, amending that section of the General Code relative
to the power of judges of Common Pleas Court, which measure was enacted into law. One of the measures in which
he was greatly interested, and to which he gave particular attention and study, was the bill providing a minimum
wage for women. And, while he was a member of the very small minority of that session of the General Assembly,
he attracted attention among the members, irrespective of parties, as one of the able and hardworking members of
the House, eloquent, fearless, always the hard but fair fighter, which qualities, together with his broad grasp
of facts and principles, brought him the confidence and respect of the entire Legislative body.
During the World war period Judge Weygandt served in every bond and Red Cross campaign, and in all of the drives
for the Community Fund
Judge Weygandt is a member of the Cleveland, Ohio State and American Bar associations, is a member of the board
of trustees of the Fast End Chamber of Commerce, a member of the Official Board of the First Glenville Methodist
Episcopal Church, is a member of the City Club, the Singers, the Cleveland Council of Sociology, of Delta Tau Delta
and Delta Theta Phi college fraternities, and of Ebenezer Lodge No. 33, Free and Accepted Masons, Council, Chapter,
Commander in Masonry, and Valley of Cleveland, Lake Erie Consistory, Scottish Rite, thirty second degree, and of
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
On June 14, 1915, Judge Weygandt was united in marriage with Miss Jessie May Silver, who was born at Wooster, Ohio,
the daughter of Jerome R. and Jennie (Cassidy) Silver, and they have two sons: Richard S., born March 3, 1918,
and Clark W., born March 6, 1923.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium