HENRY WAIBEL. The Henry Waibel Company, at 5304 Clark Avenue, is one of the prosperous business establishments
on the South Side. It is a general hardware and sheet metal store and shop, a concern that has been the result
of many years of progressive industry on the part of the president of the company, Mr. Henry Waibel.
Mr. Waibel was born in Cleveland on November 12, 1869, the son of Henry and Catherine (Plattner) Waibel. His parents
were born and married in Switzerland, and arrived in the United States and settled in Cleveland a few years before
their son Henry was born. They brought with them one daughter, Elizabeth. The three sons, Henry, August and John,
were all born in Cleveland. Henry Waibel, Sr., learned the sheet metal and tinsmith trade in the old country, and
followed it in Cleveland until he retired a number of years before his death. He Tossed away in 1905, aged sixty
three, and his wife, in 1907, aged sixty seven.
Henry Waibel attended the Clark Avenue and Walton Avenue Public schools. While a school boy he carried a route
for a German daily newspaper, walking from the South Side to Saint Clair Avenue on the East Side to get his papers
every morning. In addition he also carried two baskets of pretzels from Clark Avenue to old Brierly Park, walking
the trip both ways and getting paid ten cents for each trip. This was work that later proved a good training in
business, particularly in forming good and regular habits.
On leaving school Mr. Waibel went to work in Louis Hundermark's tin and sheet metal shop on Clark Avenue. He spent
about seven years with that employer, and when he was twenty years of age he engaged in business on his own account,
establishing a small shop in a barn. He procured his supplies from the East Side, transporting them in a hand cart
which he pushed over the river. Some of his early work was of an itinerant nature, mending the tin ware of farmers
in the country districts.
Mr. Waibel in 1893 opened a small stock of hardware and a shop for sheet metal work. In the subsequent thirty years
his business has steadily grown and expanded. At first his shop was in part of the present store building, the
other half, separated by a partition, being used for a grocery store. He now occupies all this building, 60 by
110 feet, with store in front and shop in the rear. He carries a stock of general hardware, and does an extensive
business in sheet metal work of all kinds. On February 1, 1924, the Henry Waibel Company was incorporated, and
he became its president.
Mr. Waibel since 1916 has been an active worker in the Cleveland Chamber of Industry. In 1917 he was elected to
its board of directors, and on January 1, 1924, began another term of two years as a director. He is affiliated
with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Maccabees and Woodmen of the World.
He married, in 1894, Barbara Brabenec, a native of Cleveland, while her father, Matthias Brabenec, came from Bohemia.
Mrs. Waibel died February 17, 1923, when forty eight years of age, her death being a heavy loss to her family and
her many friends. Mr. Waibel has three sons. Raymond, a farmer near Berea, Ohio, married Mamie Behal, and they
have three daughters, Marie, Cecilia and Barbara. The two younger sons, Elmer and George, are both associated with
the Henry Wiabel Company.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium