UNION OIL COMPANY OF CLEVELAND. The Union Oil Company of Cleveland, manufacturers and distributors of oils,
greases and specialties, has been one of the very successful commercial organizations of this city, its history
extending over a period of over forty years.
It was established in 1877 by W. H. Compton. The company was incorporated with an authorized capital of $30,000
on September 30, 1901, the first officers being W. H. Compton, president and treasurer; A. Prior, secretary, and
Q. F. Compton and C. F. Spencer. The founder of the business died at Cleveland February 10, 1908. His share in
the business was inherited by his daughter, Mrs. B. C. Johnson, and she succeeded him as president and with the
aid of her husband, W. H. Johnson, vice president, continued the business very successfully.
For many years the Union Oil Company has made a special effort to secure the trade of manufacturing plants and
both municipally and privately owned power plants, electric railways and similar industrial establishments. Its
business in this line has covered a large part of the State of Ohio, Southern Michigan and Western Pennsylvania.
Owing to the uniform quality of the manufactured product the company has had no difficulty in holding its business
once acquired, and the result has been an impressive growth and development from a small beginning. Quite recently
Mr. Charles F. Siegrist bought the controlling interest in the Union Oil Company. At a meeting of the stockholders
of the Auto City Oil Company, a Michigan corporation, the two companies were merged under the name of the Union
Oil Company. This gave the corporation in its present form greatly increased facilities, including complete manufacturing
plants in both Cleveland and Detroit, with refinery connections in Pennsylvania and the West. The company has access
to the choicest crudes for the manufacture of its special brand.
Mr. Siegrist, president of the company, was born in Cleveland, September 15, 1870. He was educated in public and
high schools, was mechanical engineer, was with Rockefeller for sixteen years, was chief engineer in the building
of the Rockefeller Building. He has been a mechanical engineer all his life, is president of the Siegrist Universal
Valve Company plant, located in Cleveland, is a member of the Masonic Order, being a thirty second degree Mason
and Shriner, is vice president of the High Moon Club, a member of the Cleveland Athletic Club, and in politics
is a republican. He married Miss Lucy C. Warnecke and they have twG children, Dorris, wife of Paul G. Lutz, and
Maria, at home.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium