ERNST C. SCHWAN, whose offices are in the Cuyahoga Building, is one of the veteran members of the Cleveland
bar, a man distinguished by his professional attainments, by his earnest and high minded citizenship and the scholarly
talents that are a tradition in his family.
Mr. Schwan was born in the old Schwan family home on Oregon Street, near East Ninth Street, in Cleveland. He is
a son of the late Henry C. Schwan, who was born at Horneburg, near Hanover, Germany, in 1819. Mr. Schwan's father
and grandfather were Lutheran ministers. Henry C. Schwan was a graduate of the University of Jena, was ordained
to the Lutheran ministry, and was soon sent as a missionary to South America, being stationed at Bahia in Brazil,
where he remained until 1848. Coming to the United States by sailing vessel, he landed at New Orleans and by boat
came up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, where he assumed his duties as a Lutheran pastor.
Rev. Henry C. Schwan came to Cleveland in 1857, and for upwards of half a century was a resident of the city, and
became one of the most prominent men in the Lutheran Church of America. He was for nearly twenty years pastor of
the St. Zion Lutheran Evangelical Church, resigning the pastorate in 1876 when he was elected president of the
Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other states, the jurisdiction of which included all of the United States
and Canada. However, he retained his residence in Cleveland and remained as president of the synod until 1904,
when he retired. The death of this eminent official of the Lutheran Church occurred in 1905. His wife was Emma
Bluhm, who was born near Bahia, Brazil. Her father had come from Germany and settled in Brazil, where he became
owner of a large coffee plantation near Bahia, operating with slave labor. His descendants are still living in
Brazil. Mrs. Henry C. Schwan died in 1915. She reared a family of eight children: Paul, Louis M., Ernst C., Charles
J., George H., Fred, Emma and Hannah. George H. Schwan has had many of the honors of the legal profession, having
been respectively United States commissioner, judge of the Police Court and judge of the Common Pleas Court. He
has long been a member of the firm of E. C. & George H. Schwan. Ernst C. Schwan first attended the Lutheran
parochial schools in Cleveland, then the public schools and the Lutheran College at Fort Wayne, Indiana. On returning
to Cleveland he took up the study of law in the office of Leonard Case and later with Judge Cleveland, and was
admitted to the bar in 1877. He has been continuously in practice since that year, and has successfully looked
after the interests of a large clientage. He is a member of the Cleveland Bar Association and served four years
on the City Council.
He married in 1877 Katherine Faust, a native of Cleveland. Mr. and Mrs. Schwan are the parents of six children.
Ernst H., Lottie, Agnes, Ethel, Vera and Theodore. The son Ernst married a Miss Wannamaker, and their three children
are Philip, Susan and Katherine. Lottie is the wife of Charles Herzer, their four children being Miriam, Ernst
Karl, Robert and Charles. Agnes married Edward Parshall and has a son James, and the family live in Hudson, Ohio.
Ethel is the wife of Rev. Harry Bergen, their two children being Robert and Jay. Vera married C. W. Cuddy, and
is living in Boston, Massachusetts.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium