GEORGE EDWARD SCHMEHL has been well known in Cleveland commercial circles for thirty years. He was proprietor
of several well known drug stores in Cleveland until he engaged in a special line of business handling cutlery
and barbers' supplies.
Mr. Schmehl was born in South Brooklyn Village, now the City of Cleveland, June 8, 1872, son of the late John and
Louise (Deuble) Schmehl. His grandfather, Sylvester Schmehl, brought his family from Germany to America in 1851,
settling in Cuyahoga County. He was the first blacksmith in South Brooklyn Village operating his own shop. In that
shop his son, John Schmehl, learned the trade. John Schmehl was born in a village near Frankfort on the Main in
Wurttemberg, Germany, in 1839, and was twelve years of age when the family settled in Cuyahoga County. He eventually
succeeded to the business of his father and continued it for many years. He also manifested a keen interest in
public affairs, serving several years on the Village Council. John Schmehl, who died in 1914, married Louise Deuble,
who was born at Liverpool, now called Valley City, in Medina County, Ohio, in 1849. Her father, Christian Deuble,
was born in Germany, came to America during the '40s and was the first tanner in Medina County. Mrs. John Schmehl
died in 1921.
George Edward Schmehl as a boy attended the old Treat and Dennison Avenue public schools. He was only fourteen
when he left school to go to work in the drug store of Henry W. Stecher. While getting a working familiarity with
the drug store he also utilized his spare time in attending the Cleveland School of Pharmacy. He was graduated
from that school with the Graduate in Pharmacy degree in 1891 and received a similar diploma in 1893 from the School
of Pharmacy of Buffalo, New York. After ten years of employment under Mr. Stecher he opened a store of his own
at 55th Street and Hough Avenue. He sold this business four years later and opened a new store in the old Masonic
Temple at the corner of East Sixth and Superior Avenue, on the present site of the Federal Reserve Bank. He was
in business at that location three years.
At the end of that time Mr. Schmehl took up an entirely different line, handling barbers' supplies and cutlery.
Out of this grew the business reorganized as the Cleveland Cutlery Company, of which he became manager, and continued
so until 1924, in which year he opened the Ye Grinde Shoppe, at 731 Vincent Street, in the same line of business.
Mr. Schmehl has interested himself in community affairs, but never was a candidate for public office. He is a stanch
republican and a member of the Tippecanoe Club. He married Maude Gilbert, a native of Cleveland and daughter of
the late Dr. G. H. Gilbert. They have one daughter, June Gilbert Schmehl.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium