RALPH ALLEN SCHERZ, M. D. One of the well known physicians of Cleveland, and a leading citizen of the West Side,
is Dr. Ralph Allen Scherz, .who has built up a large practice in this city and commands the respect and confidence
of his professional associates as well as of the general public. Doctor Scherz was born at Sandusky, Ohio, March
5, 1884, and is a son of the late J. Louis and Josephine (Daniels) Scherz.
J. Louis Scherz was born at Sandusky, Ohio, in 1850, and died in that city May 7, 1920. His father, J. Louis Scherz,
Sr., was the founder of the family in Ohio. He was born at Heidelberg, Germany, and came from there to the United
States in 1844, settling at Sandusky, of which city he became a prominent and substantial business man. By trade
he was a pattern maker, and he made some of the first patterns used by the Mad River Railroad, now the branch of
the Big Four out of Sandusky. As a business man he saw opportunities quickly and practically, and when he bought
a large tract of hard wood timber in Sandusky County he used it in the manufacture of ax handles to good advantage.
J. Louis Scherz, Jr., was educated at Sandusky, and in early life was a machinist, but later entered the Government
railway mail service, with which he was connected for thirty five years, running on the New York Central lines
between Cleveland, Ohio, and Syracuse, New York. A reliable and trustworthy man in every relation of life, he became
well known and valued by his fellow citizens, and at the time of his death was chairman of the board of trustees
of the Sandusky Children's Home. He was a charter member of the first lodge of the order of Knights of Pythias
organized at Sandusky. He married Josephine Daniels, who was born at Sandusky, and died in 1884, as the result
of an accident.
Ralph Allen Scherz received his early educational training in the Sandusky public schools, and was graduated from
high school. In 1904 he entered the Cleveland Homeopathic Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1908,
with his medical degree. He applied himself closely to his studies, and in his senior year served as an interne
at Cleveland City Hospital, and following his graduation served in the same capacity at Huron Road Hospital. As
an indication of his proficiency in his medical studies and the value placed on this proficiency by his professors
it may be stated that he was then appointed instructor in physical diagnosis at his alma mater, and so continued
until that college was taken over by the Ohio State University; and in 1920 he was granted a certificate showing
him to be a graduate of that institution under its present name. He is interested in everything pertaining to his
profession, and is a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy.
Doctor Scherz married Miss Mae Kers, who is a daughter of Joseph Kers, of Cleveland. She is a lady of education
and force of character, and is a graduated nurse of Mount Sinai Hospital of Cleveland and a postgraduate of Bellevue
Hospital, New York City.
In political life Doctor Scherz is interested only as a good citizen, and takes part in civic affairs from the
standpoint of a man of science. Like other members of his profession, he gives generously to charity, and, like
them, also is silent as to the objects of his benef actions, whether they prove grateful or otherwise. This, possibly,
is professional ethics, nevertheless it is beneficence in the widest sense. Doctor Sherz is a member of O. N. Steel
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Robert Wallace Chapter; Forest City Council; Forest City Commandery, Knights Templar,
and Al Koran Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrjne, and is also a member of Hesperian Lodge,
Knights of Pytbias.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium