HON. HENRY GEORGE REITZ, well known citizen and civil engineer of Cleveland, was born on the family homestead
farm in Rockport Township, Cuyahoga County, on the 14th of January, 1883, the place of his birth being now within
the city limits of Cleveland, in the district known as West Park. His grandparents on the paternal side were Peter
G. and Barbara (Lehr) Reitz, who came from Germany to the United States on a sailing vessel in 1842, and who landed
in the Port of New York City, whence they came to Cuyahoga County. The grandfather purchased land in Rockport Township,
developed a productive farm and continued farming during the remainder of his life, both he and his wife having
died on the old homestead.
On the farm above mentioned the birth of John G. Reitz, father of Henry G., occurred in the year 1855, and there
he was reared to manhood, his educational advantages having been those of the schools of the locality and period.
He continued his activities as a farmer in his native township until about the year 1912, when he retired from
active farming. He served two terms as township trustee and two terms as a member of the village council of West
Park. He and his wife were members of the Protestant Evangelical Church in their community, and he served forty
years as its treasurer. He died in June, 1922. He married Mary S. Barthelman, who was born on Puritas Road, Rockport
Township, in 1858, and she survives her husband. Of the children, Henry G., of this review, is the eldest; Frederick
William owns and operates a greenhouse at North Olmsted, this county; Anna K. remains with her widowed mother;
and the youngest of the number is John C., who is now associated with his eldest brother, Henry G., as a member
of the Henry G. Reitz Engineering Company.
John C. Reitz was graduated from the Case School of Applied Sciences, as a member of the class of 1913, with the
degree of Civil Engineer. He served with the United States military forces on the Mexican border, and in the World
war he was for ten months in service with the American Expeditionary Forces in France, he having received commission
as captain. He was for some time engineer for the City of West Park.
Henry G. Reitz was born in the same house as was his father and was reared on the old home farm. He was a member
of the first class to be graduated in the West Park High School, in 1901. In 1906 he received from Case School
of Applied Sciences the degree of Bachelor of Science, and in 1913 that institution conferred upon him also the
degree of Civil Engineer. The first engineering service given by Mr. Reitz was with the engineering department
of the City of Cleveland, with which he continued his connection twelve years. In 1917 he became village engineer
of West Park, and in 1919 he was elected mayor of that village, whch obtained a city charter in 1921, and, of which
he became the first mayor under the charter. He was the incumbent of this office at the time when West Park became
a part of the City of Cleveland, and thus he has the distinction of having been the first and the last mayor of
the little City of West Park.
Mr. Reitz was one of the organizers and is secretary and treasurer of the Riverside Greenhouse Company; he was
one of the organizers and is a director of the Cleveland Motor Car Sales Company; he is treasurer of the Thrift
Savings & Loan Company, in the organization of which he assisted; and was one of the organizers of the United
Greenhouse Company, and treasurer of the company.
Mr. Reitz is a member of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, the Cleveland Chamber of Industry, the American Society
of Civil Engineers, the American Association of Engineers, the Cleveland Engineering Society, the Cleveland Yacht
Club, the Lakewood Country Club, the Western Reserve Club, the League of Republican Clubs, and the Protestant Emmanuel
Evangelical Church. He is a member of North Star Lodge No. 638, Free and Accepted Masons; West Park Chapter No.
214, Royal Arch Masons (of which he was high priest in 1920); Forest City Council No. 111, Royal and Select Masters;
Forest City Commandery No. 40, Knights Templar; Lake Erie Consistory, Scottish Rite (thirty second degree); Al
Koran Temple, Mystic Shrine; Al Sirat Grotto; the Tall Cedars of Lebanon, and the Order of Rameses.
On June 7, 1911, Mr. Reitz married Miss Clara Herthneck, daughter of John and Christina (Baumgardner) Herthneck,
of Brooklyn Township, Cuyahoga County, and to them two daughters have been born, Edna Jayne and Jeanne Clare.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium