FREDERICK FERDINAND QUILLIAMS, M. D., a well known physician and surgeon of Cleveland, was born on the family
farm on Quilliams Road, in East Cleveland Township, Cuyahoga County, November 8, 1870, and is the son of William
Thomas and Nancy Jane (Moore) Quilliams. The father, William T., was horn in Painesville, Ohio, on August 13, 1838,
the son of Hugh and Elizabeth (Kelley) Quilliams, natives of the Isle of Man, where they were reared and united
in marriage. Soon after marriage they came to the United States, landing at New York. After spending a few months
in the City of New York they came westward to Ohio and located temporarily in Painesville, but a little later removed
to the town of Warrensville, this county. Still later they again changed their location and established themselves
permanently on Quilliams Road (named for the family), and remained on the farm the remainder of their lives.
William T. Quilliams, father of Doctor Quilliams, began in early manhood to learn the carpenter trade, and was
serving his apprenticeship when the Civil war came on, and he promptly enlisted in the Union Army and served for
three years as sergeant of Battery B, First Ohio Light Artillery. He participated in various historic movements
and campaigns, and was lucky to escape both wounds and capture, but eleven years after the war he was unfortunate
enough to lose his right hand in an accident. At the close of the war he was honorably discharged and promptly
returned to his home on Quilliams Road.
Soon afterwards he began work as a contracting carpenter, and continued that occupation until he lost his hand
in 1876. He then gave up the carpenter trade and retired from active business, but a little later he accepted the
position of bailiff of the Common Pleas Court and some time afterward the same position in the Court of Appeals,
and served as such for many years. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Masonic Order.
His death occurred on July 19, 1917. His widow, Nancy J., was born in Hiram, Portage County, Ohio, on February
16, 1842, the daughter of Francis and Prudence (Dunlap) Moore, both natives of Ohio. She is the granddaughter of
the first white child born in Trumbull County, Ohio. The Moore and the Dunlap families came to Ohio from New England.
Dr. Frederick F. Quilliams was educated in the common schools, graduating from Shaw High School in May 1889. He
then entered the Spencerian Business College, took the full course, and graduated therefrom the succeeding year.
He was graduated from Cleveland Medical College in 1897 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, and in the same
year he engaged in the practice of general medicine and surgery in his present neighborhood, and has continued
the same with success.
Doctor Quillianis is a member of the Cleveland Homeopathic Medical Society, of the American Institute of Homeopathy
and of the Ohio State Homeopathic Medical Society; also a member of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce; of Woodward
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, and McKinley Chapter, and of Cleveland City Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
He chose for his life companion Miss Catherine D., who was born in Cleveland, the daughter of the late George Speddy,
who, for a number of years, was a captain in the Cleveland Fire Department.
Doctor Quilliams' offices and residence are at 1618 East One Hundred and Eighteenth Street.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium