WILLIAM ROBERT POWELL is a Cleveland architect, and by education and experience is deeply versed in both the
ancient and modern technique of the art. His offices are in the Rose Building, and he is a native of Ohio.
He was born at Radnor, in Delaware County. His father was John Powell, a native of Lianafan, Breconshire, Wales.
The grandfather was owner of three small farms in Breconshire, but in 1845 sold his property and with his wife
and two children came to America, landing at Philadelphia. After a short time he proceeded westward by wagon and
team to Newark, Ohio, where he opened a general store. His goods bought in New York were brought west by canal
and lake. He conducted a successful business there for two years, then moved with his family to Radnor, Ohio, where
he continued as a merchant.
His two children were John and Margaret Powell. John Powell acquired his first advantages in the schools of Wales,
and afterward attended public schools at Newark, and also Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware. He was a teacher,
and later became associated with his father in business at Radnor, a village located on the old Indian trail that
passed through Delaware County. He conducted his business there until his death in 1902. John Powell married Sarah
L. Watkins, who was born at Radnor, Ohio, in 1846. Her father, William Watkins, a native of Lianervil, Wales, came
to America as a young man and located in Delaware County, Ohio. He was a pioneer in that district, and established
his home on the old Indian trail where he purchased a tract of timberland. He was a cabinet maker by trade, and
used his skill in making furniture, since all furniture was then made by hand, and he also did much building construction
as a carpenter. Mrs. John Powell was one of eleven children, and is the only one now surviving. She became the
mother of four children, named William Robert, John Watkins, David Harvey and Edward K.
William Robert Powell was well educated, first attending the public schools at Radnor, then spending two years
in the Oberlin Preparatory School and two years in the Case School of Applied Science at Cleveland. Following that
he was graduated from Columbia University, and then spent two and one half years as a student in the School of
Fine Arts at Paris. On returning to America he located at Cleveland, where as an architect he has gained a high
standing in his profession. He is a member of the Beta Theta Pi college fraternity and Hiram Lodge of Masons at
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium