WALLACE KIRKWOOD MOCK, M. D. In no other city has there been more intelligent recognition of the remarkable
advances made in medical science in the last quarter of a century than in Cleveland. The medical profession is
ably represented here, and one of its prominent and well known members is Dr. Wallace Kirkwood Mock, who for over
twenty years has been identified with the Fairview Park Hospital at Cleveland.
Doctor Mock belongs to Ohio both by birth and parentage. He was born on his father's farm in Berlin Township, Mahoning
County, Ohio, December 28, 1864, and is a son of David and Phebe (Westover) Mock. The Mock ancestral line reaches
back to Western Germany, from which section came Doctor Mock's sturdy pioneering ancestors, who settled and through
their industry and thrift prospered in the State of Pennsylvania, generations ago. There his grandfather, Frederick
Mock, was born and reared, and in young manhood came to Ohio and was the founder of the family in Mahoning County.
David Mock, father of Doctor Mock, was born March 4, 1837, on the farm adjoining the one he now owns and resides
on in Berlin Township, Mahoning County, and during all his active life was engaged in farm pursuits. He married
Phebe Westover, who was born on a farm in Milton Township, Maboning County, April 10, 1842, and still survives.
Her father, Sherman Westover, was a native of Massachusetts and of English descent.
Wallace Kirkwood Mock attended the district school and remained on the home farm until sixteen years of age, then
took a course in the Northwestern Ohio Normal School at Canfield, Ohio, where he was prepared for teaching. For
several years he devoted himself to this profession, mainly in Mahoning County, and then turned his attention to
the study of medical science, satisfying an ambition he had cherished from boyhood. After completing a course of
medical reading under the preceptorship of Dr. F. W. Carson, of Berlin Center, Mahoning County, he in 1886 entered
the Eclectic Medical College at Cincinnati, from which institution he was graduated with credit and with his degree
Doctor Mock came to Cleveland in the above year and entered medical prectice, for one year maintaining his office
on Pearl Street, opposite Jay Street, changing then to Columbus Street and Lorain Avenue, where he continued until
1906, when he moved to his present offices, on the corner of West Twenty eighth Street and Lorain Avenue. As a
general practitioner and faithful, able and conscientious medical man Doctor Mock has won the confidence and esteem
of his fellow citizens in general, and since 1890 he has been continuously attached to the staff of some hospital.
For some time he was with the Women's and Children's Hospital, on Vega Avenue, South Side, afterward joined the
staff of the Deaconess Hospital on West Eleventh Street, and in 1902 the Fairview Park Hospital, on Franklin Boulevard,
and is now one of the chief physicians of the staff of this modern hospital. He is identified with numerous scientific
organizations and is a member of the Ohio State Association and the American Eclectic Medical Association.
Doctor Mock married Miss Della Stacy, of Poland, Mahoning County, Ohio. They reside at 6405 Franklin Avenue. Doctor
Mock was reared in the Lutheran Church. He is a thirty second degree Mason and a Shriner, being a member of Roosevelt
Lodge No. 640, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Thatcher Chapter; Forest City Council; Holyrood Commandery, Knights
Templar; Lake Erie Consistory; Al Koran Temple; Al Sirat Grotto and the Tall Cedars of Lebanon. He belongs also
to Amazen Lodge of Odd Fellows, to the Cleveland Chamber of Industry, the Cleveland Yacht Club and the Lakewood
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium