JOEN LOUIS MIHELICH, a Cleveland attorney, with offices in the Engineers Building, came to Cleveland when a
youth of sixteen, and since then, relying upon his own efforts, has mastered the American language and American
customs, a learned profession, served his adopted country in the World war, and is one of the ablest representatives
of the foreign born in this city.
He was born in Austria, April 13, 1891. The following year, while he was left behind in Austria, his parents, Gasper
and Jedert (Gornik) Mihelich, immigrated to the United States, settling in Minnesota. Five years later they went
back to Austria, but again returned to this country and to Minnesota, where the father died two years later. Following
his death the widowed mother and other children returned to the old country, where she is still living.
John Louis Mihelich did not accompany his parents on their immigration to America either time. He, therefore, spent
the first sixteen years of his life in Austria, where he was educated in the common schools. In 1907, when he came
to this country, alone, he made his way direct to Cleveland, where two of his uncles and an aunt were living. He
immediately found work for his support and contrived opportunities to advance his education. For three years he
attended public night school, and spent four years in Central Institute, a private high school. Having mastered
a thorough high school education, he entered the Cleveland Law School of Baldwin Wallace University, and pursued
his studies there until graduating with the Bachelor of Laws degree in 1917. He was admitted to the Ohio bar the
same year, but did not engage in practice until after the war.
On going into the army he was sent to Camp Gordon and assigned to the Nineteenth Infantry. With this regiment he
went overseas, first to Belgium and then into France. With the rank of sergeant he was assigned to duty in the
United States Army field postoffice at Algnon, France, until after the armistice. He then returned to the United
States, and was mustered out at Mitchel Aviation Field, Long Island, New York in April, 1919.
Immediately on his return to Cleveland Mr. Mihelich engaged in general practice as a lawyer, and has practiced
alone, building up a successful clientage. He is also attorney for the International Building & Loan Company,
one of the city's successful institutions. He is proprietor of J. L. Mihelich & Company, handling steamship
tickets and foreign exchange, with offices at East Sixty third Street and St. Clair Avenue.
He is a member of the Cleveland Bar Association, the American Legion and the Catholic Church. He married Miss Anna
G. Swingle, daughter of the late Charles Swingle, of Cleveland.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium