JAMES H. McCALL is in the most significant degree one of the influential and successful exponents of real estate
enterprise in the metropolitan district of Cleveland, and in connection with the development and progress of the
city he has shown marked prevision and a confidence that has found expression in constructive action.
He is the founder and head of The J. H. McCall Company, one of the substantial and progressive real estate concerns
of Cleveland, with offices in the Sloan Building.
Mr. McCall was born at Londonderry, Guernsey County, Ohio, January 16, 1877, and his father is now a successful
'representative of agricultural industry near New Concord, Muskingum County. The lineage of the McCall family traces
back to staunch Scotch origin, and William McCall, great grandfather of the subject of this review, became a citizen
of Washington County, Pennsylvania, whence representatives of the family came to Ohio in 1850.
The public schools of his native place afforded James H. McCall his earlier education, he studied one year under
the preceptorship of a private tutor, and thereafter attended Geneva College one year. His ambition for liberal
education was further shown by his passing four years as a student in Muskingum College, at New Concord, and for
a time he was a student in the Western Reserve Medical College. A fine sense of personal stewardship has characterized
the entire career of Mr. McCall, who not only earned the funds that enabled him to attend college, but who also
made his productive efforts count at the same time by earning enough likewise to pay off the mortgage of $1,000
on his father's farm.
Mr. McCall remained at the parental home until he was seventeen years of age, and his leaving was prompted by his
determination to make his own way through college. He first went to Pittsburgh and became a salesman for the American
Tea Company. He won advancement to the position of general agent for this company, and retained the same eighteen
months. He then passed a year in college, and during vacation periods sold stereoscopic views in order to raise
funds with which to continue his college course. While a college student he passed two winters in the South, where
he visited the leading universities and colleges in soliciting for the Keystone View Company and in training new
salesmen for that concern. While in college he started a college paper and acted as its editor. He also played
four years on the football team, and was its manager in his senior year, besides which he took part in several
In June, 1908, Mr. McCall took a position as salesman with the Greenlund Kennerdell Company, a Cleveland real estate
concern, and after continuing in this service about one year he accepted the position of manager of the real estate
department of the Garfield Bank, with which he continued his alliance nearly seven years, within which he gained
comprehensive and accurate knowledge concerning real estate values in Cleveland. While identified with the bank
his service was largely comprised in the selling of houses, the effecting of ninety nine year realty leases, and
the supervision of a general real estate business. He had charge of the building and sale of a goodly number of
single and two family dwellings, as well as apartment houses. In 1916 he became associated in the organization
and incorporation of the McNutt McCall Company, the business of which covered downtown real estate and also subdivisions.
On the 3d of September, for the purpose of extending still further the scope and importance of his operations,
Mr. McCall organized the J. H. McCall Company, of which he has since continued the progressive executive head and
the service of which he has brought to the highest standard in every respect. It is not within the province of
this circumscribed review to enter into details concerning the splendid business that has been developed and controlled
by this representative real estate organization, but is consistent to offer the following quotations from a comprehensive
and appreciative newspaper article recently published:
"The success made by the J. H. McCall Company in Cleveland and its suburbs as sellers of improved homesites
is the result of J. H. McCall and his associates having measured up to the requirements of the times, and in the
realty field making selfish interest serve the interests of all pointing the way for all to prosper. Mr. McCall
may rightly be termed a constructive operator of suburban real estate, for it has been his policy, first, last
and at all times not just to scheme up and plot off a parcel of property for an allotment, but to 'see it through,'
improve it, and then go about interesting the right kind of people in locating and building their homes there.
Mr. McCall has noticeably, in all his selections and improvements, stuck to the principal thoroughfares and main
arteries of development, and through exercising vision and wisdom in taking on his land parcels, he has been favored
with remarkable success."
Mr. McCall is an active member of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, holds membership in the local Athletic, City
and Advertising clubs, is a member of the Board of Trustees of Muskingum College, is a communicant of Trinity Cathedral
of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and is unswerving in his allegiance to the republican party. He finds his chief
recreation in hunting, and he maintains a hunting camp on Lemon Bay, Florida, in a wild district thirty five miles
south of Sarasota.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium