ADAM H. LINTZ is an engineer by profession, and has rendered important service with industrial corporations,
for the Government and the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce.
He was born at Kenton, in Hardin County, Ohio, in 1889. His tather was John Lintz, a native of Germany. John Lintz
had a brother, much younger than himself, also given the name John. This brother was born after Mr. Lintz left
Germany. On coming to the United States he settled at Belle Center, Ohio, where he spent the rest of his life.
In America he always spelled his name John Lins. There were seven children, five of whom now survive him. John
Lintz acquired a good education in Germany, and was a young man when he came to America, settling at Kenton, where
he established the first meat market in that town. He continued in business there until his death. By his first
marriage he had three sons: John, William and Henry. His second wife was Marie Dorn, who came to America with her
widowed mother and a brother and sister, and was married in Kenton, where she still resides. She reared a family
of five daughters and two sons: Lena, Elizabeth, Katherine, Mary, Flora, Louis and Adam H.
Adam H. Lintz was reared at Kenton, attending the public schools. He was graduated from high school in 1907, and
soon afterward went to work as an employe of the Toledo & Ohio Central Railway Company. He spent six months
with that railroad, and for a year and, a half was an employe of the Big Four Railway Company. In this way he earned
the money to begin his technical education, working also while in college. In 1909 he entered the Case School of
Applied Science at Cleveland, where he completed his technical education, graduating as a Bachelor of Science in
After graduating Mr. Lintz became an employe in the plant description department of the American Steel & Wire
Company, and was promoted to chief of the department. In 1914 he was put in charge of the safety department of
the work of this corporation in the Pittsburgh district. In 1916 he was transferred to the engineering department,
in charge of the construction of a coke plant.
Mr. Lintz was given a leave of absence by the American Steel & Wire Company in August, 1917, to permit him
to enter the Government service. He was assigned to duty in the Norfolk Navy Yard as safety engineer during the
war. In July, 1918, he was transferred to Philadelphia as assistant chief safety engineer to the United States
Shipping Board, covering 178 shipbuilding plants and 1,000 auxiliary plants. After leaving the service of the Federal
Government, Mr. Lintz returned to Cleveland, and in April, 1919, was appointed the first manager of the Cleveland
Safety Council, local branch of the National Safety Council, a subsidiary organization of the Cleveland Chamber
of Commerce. In this capacity he has been continued to the present time.
He married in 1923 Miss Sylvia J. Powell, who was born at Kenton, Ohio,, daughter of James H. Powell. He is a member
of the Sigma Chi and Theta Nu Epsilon college fraternities and was president and treasurer 'of the Sigma CM fraternity
while in school and has served as secretary of the Alumni Association of same. In Masonry he is affiliated with
Latham Lodge No. 154 at Kenton, and is a member of the Al Sirat Grotto No. 17, in Cleveland. He also belongs to
the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Cleveland City Club and the Chamber of Commerce.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium