GEORGE CHRISTIAN LANG is owner of one of the large furniture and undertaking establishments on the West Side.
He has been in business there for a quarter of a century, and has made a notable success in every way. He began
business in Cleveland with a small capital, and has been satisfied to develop his enterprise gradually and as time
and opportunity warranted.
Mr. Lang was born at Dunkirk, New York, September 27, 1870, son of John A. and Theresa (Fischer) Lang. His parents
were both born in Germany, and were brought to the United States when about fourteen years of age. His grandfather,
John Lang, and the maternal grandfather, Alois Fischer, settled with their families at Dunkirk, New York, the former
becoming a farmer and the latter a carpenter. John A. Lang also followed the business of farming, and died at Dunkirk
in 1884, survived by his widow until 1910.
George C. Lang passed his boyhood on his father's farm, and supplemented the advantages of the country schools
by attending school in Dunkirk. In 1891, at the age of twenty one, he came to Cuyahoga County, and for two years
was a student in the Baldwin Wallace College at Berea. After finishing his education Mr. Lang spent two years in
the stone and coal business at Chicago Junction, Ohio, and for a similar length of time was in the ice and coal
business at his old home town at Dunkirk.
It was on April 13, 1897, that Mr. Lang engaged in business at Cleveland by opening a small furniture store and
undertaking establishment on Lorain Avenue, near Clark Avenue. The best proof of his business ability was the steady
growth made in both branches by his enterprise. By 1910 he was owner of a business that needed greatly enlarged
quarters, and in that year he bought property at the corner of Lorain Avenue and West Ninety fifth Street and erected
a handsome business block, a brick structure three stories and basement, with a frontage of 120 feet, and 125 feet
in depth. This gave him floor space of 30,000 square feet, every foot being utilized by his stock and business.
In May, 1924, a new store, 90 by 100 feet, was erected at One Hundred and Twenty second Street and Lorain Avenue,
the business having grown very rapidly. Mr. Lang is sole owner of this prosperous establishment.
He is also connected with other business, civic and commercial organizations in his section of the city, being
a member of the Advisory Board of the United Bank, a director in the Depositors Savings & Loan Company, was
a director in 1922 of the Chamber of Industry, is a member of the Civic League and president of the Board of Trustees
of the Bethany Methodist Episcopal Church. He is affiliated with Guyer Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and Idonia Lodge,
Independent Order of Foresters.
In 1898, the year after Mr., Lang came to Cleveland, he married Miss Emma Stocker. Her father, Bartholomew Stocker,
died in March, 1923, in his ninety first year. He was born in Switzerland, and for a long period of years was engaged
in farming and dairying at his place on Settlement Road, at what is now One Hundred and Thirtieth Street.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium