Biography of Judson P. Lamb
Cuyahoga County, OH Biographies

JUDSON PAUL LAMB. Among the younger members of the bar at Cleveland none enjoy a larger measure of public confidence or greater personal esteem than Judson Paul Lamb, member of the prominent law firm of Lamb & Westenhaver, and former law director of the City of Cleveland. Mr. Lamb belongs to an old pioneer family of Fairfield County, Ohio, and one that has been distinguished in many ways.

Mr. Lamb was born at Cleveland, Ohio, September 4, 1885, and is a son of Rev. Judson Hunter and Anna (Gravett) Lamb, a grandson of Jacob Lamb, and a great grandson of Maj. Jacob Lamb, whose father was Peter Lamb, the great great grandfather of Attorney Lamb. Peter Lamb came to this country from Germany in 1740 and settled in Pennsylvania, and when the Revolutionary war came on, became a member of the Pennsylvania unit and served as a private soldier under Washington for three years. After the war he moved to Rockingham County, Virginia, where the next generation of Lambs grew up, and from there in 1803 his son Jacob migrated to the Western Reserve and probably was one of the founders of Bremen, Ohio. He served with the rank of major in the War of 1812 and also in the Mexican war, but his last years were peacefully spent on his farm in Fairfield County. His namesake son, Jacob Lamb, was born at Bremen, Ohio, and when he grew to manhood showed the heritage of his father's military spirit when the Civil war was precipitated, by entering his country's service and, with rank of first lieutenant, remained in the army until the close of hostilities.

Judson Hunter Lamb, father of Mr. Lamb, was born at Bremen, Ohio, a son of Lieut. Jacob and Nancy (Hunter) Lamb, the latter being of Scotch-Irish ancestry. He was endowed with an alert mind and studious temperament and during his earlier years taught school, at one time being a teacher in the Academy at Green Springs, Ohio, then a preparatory school of Western Reserve University. He then entered the ministry of the Evangelical Church Association, in which he continued to be a zealous and faithful worker until his health gave way. On this account in 1910 he moved to Alberta, Canada, accompanied by his wife and two of his three sons, Judson Paul, the eldest of the children, remaining in Ohio. The change in climate and occupation proved beneficial, and Mr. Lamb has become a successful farmer, and also at present is filling the office of deputy minister of municipal affairs in the province of Alberta, Canada.

The mother of Judson Paul Lamb was born at Lancaster, Ohio, about 1861; a daughter of John and Ann (Mallars) Gravett, the latter of whom was born in London, England. They came to the United States in 1850 and settled at Lancaster, Ohio. John Gravett, originally written Gravette, was of French Huguenot extraction, but was born at Stirling, County Sussex, England. Mr. Lamb's next younger brother is a farmer in Alberta and has a family of his own, residing near his parents. Mr. Lamb's youngest brother at the beginning of the World war, although but, seventeen years old, entered the Canadian Artillery Division and during his two years at the front in France. almost lost his life through being gassed. He has fortunately recovered sufficiently to return to school. He graduated from the University of Alberta, being awarded a Rhodes Scholarship, and is now a student at Merton College, Oxford University, England.

Because of the frequent change of residence occasioned by the demands of his father's itinerant ministry, Judson Paul Lamb attended school at numerous points during boyhood, Circleville, Lancaster, Akron, Tiffin and Cleveland, all in Ohio. He was graduated from the Woodland Grammar and the Central High schools at Cleveland, later from Adelbert College and from the Western Reserve University Law School. Subsequently he took special work in the University of Wisconsin, and in 1910 was admitted to the bar and entered into practice at Cleveland.

For two years following Mr. Lamb maintained an individual practice, but in 1912 became a member of the firm of Cushing, Siddall & Lamb, which in 1916, because of the retirement of I. T. Siddall to become Common Pleas judge of Ravenna, and the admission of W. R. Hopkins, became Cushing, Hopkins & Lamb. Following the death of the senior member, William E. Cushing, in December, 1917, Mr. Lamb retired and on March 1, 1918, became a member of the firm of Cook, McGowan, Foote, Bushnell & Lamb. During the entire interval of Mr. Lamb's connection with his former firm it had been general attorneys for the Erie Railroad Company in Ohio, and the greater part of his practice had been corporation work, resulting in a very thorough knowledge of that branch of the law. During the years 1922 and 1923 Mr. Lamb was law director of the City of Cleveland. On March 1, 1924, the present firm of Lamb & Westenhaver was organized.

Mr. Lamb is a republican, belonging to the same political faith as father and grandfather. As an intelligent and progressive citizen he has been more or less active in civic affairs, but held but the one public office referred to. He is a thirty second degree Mason and a Shriner, a member of Tyrin Lodge No. 370, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; McKinley Chapter No. 181; Woodland Council No. 118; Coeur-de-Leon Commandery No. 64; Lake Erie Consistory, and Al Koran Temple, Mystic Shrine. He belongs to such representative organizations as the University, Country, Hermit, Cleveland Athletic and Nisi Prius dubs, the last being a lawyers' club. He still preserves membership in the Alpha Delta Phi, a college Greek letter fraternity, the Phi Delta Phi, a law fraternity, and the Delta Sigma Rho, honorary.

A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies

Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z



New York



For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012