FRANK JOHN KUTA, M. D. One of the largest racial groups represented in Cleveland are the Polish section in the
southwestern quarter of the city. In that district and among his people Doctor Kuta has achieved a notable leadership
not only as a professional man, but in business affairs.
He was born in Poland, September 8, 1875, but since early childhood has been an American by residence, by education
and in spirit. His parents, John and Regina (Pierrog) Kuta, were born in Poland, and, accompanied by their three
children, immigrated to the United States in 1880. They settled at Buffalo, New York, where the father met an accidental
death in 1882. The widowed mother in 1888 brought her three children to Berea, Cuyahoga County, and she died at
the home of her son in Toledo in 1905. Her oldest child is Dr. Frank J. The second son, Joseph Lawrence, born in
November, 1879, was educated in, the common schools at Berea, in Detroit University, in Cleveland Seminary, and
was ordained to priesthood in Cleveland in 1903. He was pastor of Saint Stanislaus Parish in Toledo until 1920,
and since then has been pastor of the Polish congregation of Grafton and Elyria in Lorain County; Ohio. The youngest
child, Anna, died in Berea, at the age of eighteen.
Doctor Kuta was educated in public schools, beginning at Buffalo, and for five years attended Baldwin College,
now Baldwin-Wallace University, at Berea. He was graduated with the Doctor of Medicine degree in 1907 from the
Cleveland College of Physicians and Surgeons. Doctor Kuta, owing to the early death of his father, had his own
way to make from childhood. His ambition, his industry, his steadfast determination have won him the good things
he has enjoyed and made him an instrument of substantial service to his people. During the five years he attended
Baldwin College he paid his way by working in the stone quarries at Berea, and also operated an office for handling
foreign exchange, steamship tickets and fire insurance. While in medical school he acted as deputy in the office
of Charles Salem, then county clerk of Cuyahoga County.
After graduating Doctor Kuta was an interne for three months in St. Alexis Hospital, for nine months at St. John's
Hospital and a year at St. Ann's Hospital. With that thorough training and experience he began general practice
at his residence at 7326 Broadway, and has had a busy professional career in that section of the city ever since.
He is a member of the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, the Ohio State and American Medical associations.
Doctor Kuta is a member of St. Stanislaus Parish, and belongs to a number of Polish societies. He was one of the
organizers and incorporators of the White Eagle Savings and Loan Association, serving it on the board of directors,
and was one of the incorporators and is president of the Leading Home and Investment Company.
August 23, 1909, Doctor Kuta married Stella Kocinski, a native of Poland, and daughter of the late Dr. Valentine
Kocinski, who was a well known physician in Cleveland. Doctor and Mrs. Kuta have four children: Regina, born in
1912; Jane, born in 1917; Helen, born in 1918, and Frank John, Jr., born September 22, 1922.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium