NATHANIEL MOORE JONES, M. D., one of the eminent members of the medical profession at Cleveland. is now specializing
in surgery, and is a veteran of the World war, in which he served with the rank of major. He is a native son of
Cleveland, having been born at 166 Taylor Street, December 1, 1877. His father, Dr. Nathaniel M. Jones, was born
in Stowe Township, Summit County, Ohio, in 1840, and although still a young man, served as army surgeon from 1862
to 1865, in the One Hundred and Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under General Thomas, in the Army of the Cumberland.
After receiving his honorable discharge, in 1865, he located at Cleveland, and was there engaged in a general practice
until his death, which occurred in 1901. He was particularly fond of hunting and fishing. For many years he was
a Mason, and he belonged to the Grand Army of the Republic.
Dr. Nathaniel M. Jones married Miss Fanny Shepard, who was born at Cleveland, in a house occupying the present
site of the store of May Company, on the south side of the Public Square. Her grandfather, Amos Pierson. was born
at Brattleboro, Vermont, in 1803, and about 1830 came to Ohio City, Ohio, and was one of the first physicians of
Cuyahoga County. The elder Doctor Jones and his wife had two children born to them.
Dr. Nathaniel M. Jones of this notice was graduated from the Univerity School, Adelbert College, class of 1899,
and the Medical School of the Western Reserve, class of 1902, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. During 1902
and 1903 Doctor Jones was interne at the Charity Hospital, Cleveland, and in the latter year studied in Berlin,
Germany. While there he married Miss Elizabeth Shafer, of Findley, Ohio. Returning to the United States in 1904,
he entered upon a general practice at Cleveland. In 1912 he abandoned a general practice and took up surgery as
With this country's entrance into the World war Doctor Jones offered his services to the Government, and was commissioned
a captain of the Medical Reserve Corps of the army in January, 1918. In August, 1918, he was commissioned a major
in the Medical Corps, and in October, 1918, was ordered overseas as chief surgeon of Base Hospital No. 107. From
February, 1919, to May, 1919, he served as commanding officer of that hospital, and was honorably discharged June
4, 1919, and commissioned lieutenant colonel in the Reserves.
Returning to Cleveland, he resumed his surgical practice. He is visiting surgeon to the Lutheran Hospital. Doctor
Jones belongs to the American Legion, and is much interested in its development. He is a Mason, and zealous in
behalf of his fraternity. The Union, University and Country clubs hold his membership. In every respect Doctor
Jones measures up to the highest ideals of his profession and American citizenship. The same patriotic urge which
sent his father into the war of the '60s prompted him to leave a large and lucrative practice to render his Government
a valuable service in its time of need, and if the occasion again arises he will act in the same public spirited
manner, for such is the character of the man.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium