GEORGE LYMAN INGERSOLL. For nearly seventy years the name Ingersoll has been prominently identified with the
Cleveland bar. Not alone in the law, but in many business and civic interests the name has accumulated distinctions.
The late George Lyman Ingersoll was a brother of Judge Jonathan Edwards Ingersoll, whose sketch appears elsewhere,
and for some time they were associated together in practice at Cleveland, though George L. Ingersoll seemed to
find more satisfaction in business than in his profession.
He was born at Rochester, New York, February 12, 1830, son of Alvan and Hannah (Lyman) Ingersoll. His father was
born at Lee, Massachusetts, and his mother was also a New Englander. Alvan Ingersoll was a Presbyterian minister,
and about 1828 he moved from Western Massachusetts to Rochester, New York.
George Lyman Ingersoll had very little opportunity for educational advantages as a boy, his father having never
received salary sufficient to warrant him in sending his children to college. When about fourteen years old George
L. Ingersoll came to Ohio to learn from his mother's brother the business of making fanning mills. At that time
fanning mills were operated by hand.
George Lyman Ingersoll during his early years in Ohio contrived to continue his education under adverse circumstances,
and finally qualified for the bar. For a time he published a newspaper at Hudson, this being one of the pioneer
efforts at journalism in the Western Reserve. About 1851 or 1852 he moved to Cleveland, and some years later became
associated with his brother in law practice. He gave up practice to become associated with William Bingham and
others in the old Cleveland Rolling Mill Company. When he resumed the law it was in individual practice, and he
was more or less identified with the profession until his death. He was prosperous but never wealthy, and his ambition
was not so much for the achievement of wealth as for diversified activtiy. From the close of the Civil war until
1877, during unsettled business and financial conditions over the country, many short lines of railroads experienced
financial difficulties. For several years Mr. Ingersoll bought, sold and traded in these properties. He also invested
in real estate, and spent considerable time in managing his farms. His great energy was one of his distinguishing
traits. He was one of the most liberal supporters of the old Third Presbyterian Church of Cleveland.
His first wife was Miss Kate Talcott, and she became the mother of three children: George T., Edward Platt and
Mary Augusta, who married Edward S. Parsons.
The second wife of George L. Ingersoll was Miss Cornelia Howard Saunders. To this marriage were born: Howard, Helen
G., Horton, Albert C., Arnold, Alan and Ruth. The only members of the family now living at Cleveland are: Mrs.
George L. Ingersoll and Albert C. and Helen Gertrude.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium