FRANCIS S. INGERSOLL, a leading merchant of Rocky River village, has devoted forty years of his life to the
mercantile business in Northern Ohio, and is regarded as one of the men of high standing both in the business and
civic affairs of Cuyahoga County.
He was born at Brunswick, in Medina County, Ohio, May 27, 1863, and represents a pioneer family in the old Western
Reserve. His ancestry runs back many generations in New England history, he being a descendant of Calvin Ingersoll,
a New Englander, who came to the Western Reserve in pioneer days and settled at Mentor, in Lake County. Calvin
Ingersoll had a family of eight sons and three daughters, all of whom reached mature years. One of his sons, Philo
Ingersoll, was born at Lee, Massachusetts, was reared in Lake County, Ohio, and died at the early age of thirty
three. He married Eunice Deming, who was born in Massachusetts, daughter of John Deming, whose ancestors came from
England with the colony of John Winthrop, Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony. Philo Ingersoll at his death left
four small sons.
One of them was Henry Deming Ingersoll, father of Francis S., and who was born at Kirtland, in Lake County, Ohio,
in 1816, and was twelve years of age when his widowed mother moved to Brunswick, Medina County, where he spent
the rest of his active life as a fanner. He died in October, 1903, at the age of eighty seven. By his first marriage
he had six children, of whom William H. and Sydney are now living. His second wife, and the mother of Francis S.,
was Georgiana Graham, who was born at Brattleboro, Vermont, in 1828, daughter of Luke and Elizabeth (Saunders)
Graham, her father a Scotchman and her mother a descendant of Holland-Dutch. Luke Graham came West in the early
'30s, settling near Kalamazoo, Michigan, subsequently removing to Medina County, Ohio, where he died. Georgiana
Graham Ingersoll died in 1891, at the age of sixty three. She was the mother of three children: Harry, who died
when seven years old; Francis S.; and Mary, a resident of Brunswick, Ohio.
Francis S. Ingersoll grew up in Medina County. He attended the district schools and was graduated from the commercial
department of Ohio Northern University at Ada in his twenty first year. For six years he was a clerk in a general
store at Hinckley, in Medina County. With this experience and with a modest capital he formed a partnership with
George B. Aylard, and under the firm name of Aylard & Ingersoll conducted a general merchandise business at
Brunswick. In 1894 Mr. Ingersoll left Hinckley and established himself at Madison, Ohio, where he was a hardware
merchant and also manufactured carriage and later automobile wheels. In 1908 he engaged in business at Rocky River,
and now is the proprietor of a large and prosperous establishment, handling general hardware, implements, tools,
spraying machinery, seeds, fertilizer and other supplies.
Besides conducting a large store every business day in the year he has always found time to assist in all civic
movements, especially those designed for the betterment of Lakewood and Rocky River. He is a republican in politics,
but has never sought public office. His son Charles M. was elected a member of the Rocky River Village Council
in 1923. Mr. Ingersoll is a member of the Cleveland Yacht Club.
He married at Hinckley, Ohio, May 23, 1894, Miss Elizabeth McKie, who was born in that village, the daughter of
Alexander and Lucy Ann (Waldo) McKie. The three children of Mr. and Mrs. Ingersoll are: Charles M., associated
with his father in business, who married Ethel Sayres; Georgia T.; and Helen E., wife of Carroll E. Fitzgibbons.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium