WILLIAM LEWIS HOBART, physician and surgeon, of Lakewood, was born at Middleport, Meigs County, Ohio, on April
29, 1894, the son of William J. and Julia E. (Wells) Hobart, both natives of Ohio, the father born near Tupper's
Plains, Meigs County, the mother in Wilkesville, Vinton County.
Doctor Hobart is a lineal descendant of Peter Hobart, who came over from Hingham, England, in the Mayflower and
settled in Hingham, Massachusetts, where he became distinguished in Colonial history as an Episcopal minister and
as a leader among the colonists. It is claimed that this Peter Hobart was the direct forefather of all the Hobarts
who are now residents of the United States; and it is a fact that this branch of the family is the only one entitled
by birth to the name Hobart, all others having received the name from an act of the New York Legislature.
William J. Hobart was for many years a traveling salesman, but finally engaged in merchandising on his own account
at Middleport, continuing for twenty years, and was thus engaged at the time of his death in January, 1919. His
widow, now in her seventy second year, is the daughter of the late Layman Wells.
Doctor Hobart was graduated from the Middleport High School in 1913. He spent one year in the pre Medical School
of the Hahnemann Medical College, Philadelphia, and followed that with the full four years' course at that instiution,
graduating with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1919. During his senior year he was resident physician at the
Children's Homeopathic Hospital, Philadelphia, and following his graduation he served for one year as interne at
the Pittsburgh General Homeopathic Hospital.
In 1918, with twenty five other students of the Hahnemann Medical College, Doctor Hobart volunteered in the Naval
Medical Corps of the United States, was ordered to League Island Navy Yard, and there enlisted as first class hospital
apprentice, and was stationed at the First Regiment Army Barracks in Philadelphia. He was not called into active
service, but remained on duty at the barracks until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged and
mustered out of the service. During his stay in the barracks he continued his medical studies in Hahnemann Medical
In 1920 Doctor Hobart entered the general practice of medicine and surgery in Lakewood, with offices at the corner
of Detroit and Bell avenues, where he continues. He is a member of the staff of Grace Hospital, and a member of
the American Institute of Homeopathy, the Northeastern Ohio Medical Society and of Pi Epsilon Rho Fraternity.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium