HENRY ANDREW HERKNER, M. D., was a child of three years at the time when the family home was established in
Cleveland, here he was reared to manhood, here he received his early education, and here he has worked out his
own career and gained place as one of the representative physicians and surgeons of the Ohio metropolis. The last
clause of the foregoing statement has special significance, in view of the fact that the doctor became virtually
dependent upon his own resources when he was a lad of but fourteen years. His energy and resourcefulness were on
a parity with his ambition, and he permitted nothing to turn him aside from that worthy ambition which was to fit
himself for the profession in which he is now giving good account of himself.
Doctor Herkner was born in Hessen, Germany, on the 18th of April, 1879, and is a son of George and Martha (Schlichter)
Herkner, both likewise natives of Hessen, where the former was born in 1845 and the latter in 1846, the year 1881
having marked the coming of the family to the United States and the first two years having been passed in New York
City. George Herkner, a skilled machinist, then came with his family to Cleveland, and here he and his wife still
maintain their home, he being now retired from active business.
In the public schools of Cleveland Doctor Herkner gained his early education, his high school course having here
been taken in Central Institute. He has provided for his own maintenance since he was fourteen years of age, and
defrayed the expenses incidental to his more advanced academic education as well as for his course in medical col=
lege. Finally he so guided his affairs as to be able to enter the Cleveland College of Physicians and Surgeons,
and in this excellent institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1906. After receiving his degree
of Doctor of Medicine he was for sixteen months an interne in St. Vincent's Charity Hospital, where he gained most
varied and valuable clinical experience. Since 1907 he has been established in general practice in the Seventy
ninth Street and St. Clair Avenue district of Cleveland, with offices at 928 East Seventy fifth Street. The doctor,
through his fine professional stewardship and personal popularity, has built up a large practice, and he gives
special attention to X-ray work, his well equipped laboratory for this service being of much value to him in his
own practice, besides affording facilities for other physicians and surgeons who have requirement for its services.
Doctor Herkner is a member of the staff of Glenville Hospital and also of that of the Florence Crittenden Home.
He has active membership in the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, the Ohio State Medical Society, and the American
Medical Association. In the World war period he gave effective service in the examining of recruited men, as an
assistant to Dr. J. E. Tucker, executive head of the local board of medical examiners in this branch of war service.
Doctor Herkner wedded Miss Martha Behnke, who was born and reared in Cleveland, and who is a daughter of Carl and
Regina Behnke. Doctor and Mrs. Herkner have two children: Edith Alice, who was born February 21, 1908, and Henry
Andrew, Jr., who was born June 10, 1913.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium