FRANCIS HENRY HASEROT has been in business in Cleveland for over forty years, beginning as a merchandise broker.
Mr. Haserot is president of the Haserot Company of Cleveland and an officer in other organizations with which he
is affiliated. He still gives his personal attention to the broad program of his commercial affairs.
Mr. Haserot was born in Cleveland, December 19, 1860. His grandfather, Henry Haserot, was a native of Heroldishausen,
Saxony, Germany, and in 1834 brought his family to America in a sailing vessel, accompanied by his wife, Margaret,
and their two year old son, Johann Gottlieb, who was born at Heroldishausen in 1832. Landing at New York, they
came on west to Pittsburgh and hence into Eastern Ohio, locating near Liverpool, where Henry Haserot took up a
homestead and built a log house for himself and family. He improved the land, but subsequently engaged in the harness
making trade and finally moved to Elyria, Ohio, where he lived retired until his death at the age of eighty. Johann
Gottlieb Haserot also learned the trade of harness maker, and for many years was a successful manufacturer at Cleveland,
moving to that city when a boy. He died there in 1914. His wife was Christine Klooz, daughter of Johann and Christine
Klooz, who came from Germany and settled at Liverpool about the same time as the Haserot family. Johann G. Haserot
and wife had nine children, five sons and four daughters.
Francis Henry Haserot was educated in the public schools and the Lutheran parochial schools at Cleveland. As a
youth he did newspaper work with the Herald, clerked in the dry goods house of Morgan, Root & Company, subsequently
the Root & McBride Company, and was a traveling salesman and department buyer for this firm before entering
business on his own account. For a brief time he was in the brokerage business under the name Haserot & Company,
and in 1885 he became a partner in the wholesale grocery firm of W. J. Hayes & Company at Cleveland. In 1889
he and his brother succeeded to the Hayes business, organizing the partnership of S. F. and F. H. Haserot &
Company. In 1895 the company was incorporated as the Haserot Company, Mr. F. H. Haserot serving as vice president
until 1903, when he succeeded his brother as president.
The Haserot Company is one of the representative mercantile houses of Ohio, with affiliations extending to all
quarters of the globe. The company is a heavy importer of coffees and teas, and it is also identified with the
manufacture and distribution of pineapple from the Hawaiian Islands, fruits from the Pacific Coast and fruits and
vegetables produced in the Middle West. The company is one of the world's largest operators in red sour pitted
cherries. F. H. Haserot, with his brother, organized the Forestville Canning Company, the Gowanda Canning Company
and the Clyde Canning Company, which were afterward consolidated into the Haserot-Canneries Company, and then merged
into the present Haserot Company.
Mr. Haserot's name has been prominently connected with other business organizations. He was one of the organizers
and president of the Hough Bank & Trust Company until its merger with the Cleveland Trust Company. He was one
of the organizers of the Coal & Iron National Bank, which through various consolidations became a part of the
present Union Trust Company of Cleveland, of which he is a director. Mr. Haserot is treasurer of the Gypsum Canning
Company at Port Clinton, Ohio, the Highland Cherry Farm Company at Bellevue, Ohio, and the Francis H. Haserot Company
at Cherry Home, Michigan, and president of the Mercantile Warehouse Company of Cleveland.
In public service Mr. Haserot was member and president of the Cleveland Board of Education from 1907 to 1911. At
one time he served on the State Central Committee of the republican party, and has been a director of the Cleveland
Chamber of Commerce. He is a member of the Union and Country clubs and of the Unitarian Church. He married in 1889
Miss Sarah Henrietta McKinney, daughter of Judge McKinney and Henrietta (Stoll) McKinney, the McKinney's being
of Scotch-Irish and the Stolls of Dutch ancestry. Mrs. Haserot is now deceased, and the four children born to their
marriage were Henry McKinney, Margaret, Francis Samuel and John Hawley.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium