H. RALPH HADLOW, who is one of the representative construction engineers established in business in Cleveland,
was born and reared in this city, and is the only male scion of the third generation of the Hadlow family in Cuyahoga
County. In the work of his profession he maintains his well appointed offices in the Finance Building.
Mr. Hadlow, who was here born on the 30th of December, 1881, is a son of John Hadlow, who was born in a district
now included in the City of Cleveland, in the year 1839, a son of Henry R. Hadlow, who was born and reared in Hadlow,
England; and who became the pioneer representative of the family in Cleveland. Henry R. Hadlow came to the United
States about the year 1830, and on a portion of his westward journey to Cleveland he utilized wagon and ox team
as a medium of transportation. At that period the section now embraced in the western part of Cleveland was given
over to farms and forest tracts. He purchased land that is now bounded by West Twelfth, Starkweather, Fruit and
Castle Avenue, and there conducted a successful market gardening business for a long period of years, he having
been upward of ninety years of age at the time of his death, was one of the sterling pioneer citizens of the Ohio
metropolis. The family name of his wife, who was well advanced in years at the time of her death, was Fields, and
she likewise was born in Hadlow, England. They became the parents of seven children, namely: Thomas, Henry, James,
George, John, Sarah and Lydia. John Hadlow eventually purchased the interest of the other heirs and came into full
ownership of the old homestead place. There he continued the market gardening business several years, and with
the substantial growth of the city in that district he finally found it expedient to sell his land, which was acquired
by a syndicate and which is now substantially built up as an integral part of Cleveland. John Hadlow lived virtually
retired for a number of years prior to his death, which occurred in 1920, within a few months after his eightieth
birthday anniversary. He married Miss Hannah M. Raines, who was born in Merthyr Tydvil, Wales, a daughter of John
and Sarah (Evans) Raines, with whom she came to the United States about the year 1863, the family home having been
established in Cleveland, where her father was identified with the oil refining business until his death. Mrs.
Hadlow still resides in Cleveland, and is the mother of three children, Gertrude, Carolyn and H. Ralph.
In the public schools of Cleveland H. Ralph Hadlow continued his studies until his graduation from the high school,
and for a time thereafter he was a student in Williams College. He next completed a thorough engineering course
in the Case School of Applied Science, Cleveland, and he has since been engaged in successful business as a constructing
and consulting engineer. He takes loyal interest in all that touches the welfare and advancement of his native
city, is a republican in politics, a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and he and his wife
hold membership in the Congregational Church.
The year 1910 recorded the marriage of Mr. Hadlow and Miss Luella Allen, who was born in the City of Rochester,
New York, a daughter of John and Margaret (Campbell) Allen, both of Scotch lineage. Mr. and Mrs. Hadlow have one
son, John Allen.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium