HERMAN HENRY HACKMAN is not only one of the veteran business men of his native City of Cleveland, but is also
a representative of a family whose name has been worthily linked with the history of the Ohio metropolis for more
than eighty years. Few, if any, of the business men of Cleveland today have been so long and prominently engaged
in business here as the sterling citizen whose name initiates this paragraph, and whose career has reflected honor
on the family name and upon the city of his birth.
Mr. Hackman was born in the old family homestead on Orange Street, near Broadway, and the date of his nativity
was October 25, 1847. His father, Joseph Hackman, was born near Osnabrueck, Germany, in the year 1820, and was
reared and educated in his native land, he having been a young man when, about the year 1839, he set sail for the
United States, the vessel on which he took passage having required virtually two months to complete the tedious
trip across the Atlantic. Joseph Hackman landed in the City of Baltimore, Maryland, and soon afterward came to
Cleveland. Here he learned the trade of brickmason, and after his apprenticeship he followed the trade as a journeyman
a few years. His ability enabled him to make advancement, and eventually he became one of the representative contractors
and builders of this city, where he continued his constructive activities for a period of about sixty five years.
He contributed much to the material upbüilding of Cleveland, and his activities as a contractor were by no
means confined to the city itself. He built the two wings of the Ohio Insane Asylum at Newburg, and in Cleveland
he erected many business blocks and high grade residences. After his retirement from active business he here continued
to reside, secure in the high regard of all who knew him, until his death, at the venerable age of eighty two years.
He was a son of Herman Hackman, who was a prosperous farmer near Osnabrueck, Germany, and who there remained until
the removal of his children to the United States induced him to come to this country. It was about 1840 when Herman
Hackman thus came to Ohio, and upon visiting the Cleveland district he here found much farm land available for
purchase, but the sandy soil did not appeal to him, with the result that he purchased land near Fort Jennings,
Putnam County, where, with a daughter and her husband, to whom he gave the farm, he passed the remainder of his
life. He was about eighty years of age at the time of his death, He was the father of one son and five daughters.
Joseph Hackman married Miss Margaret Schwartz, who was born in Prussia and who was seventy eight years of age at
the time of her death. Of the four children reared to maturity Herman H., of this review, is the eldest, and the
names of the three younger children are here given in respective order of birth: Frank, Margaret and Joseph.
Mr. Hackman gained his early education in the parochial and public schools of Cleveland, and after leaving school
he was for some time associated with his father's contracting and building business, in the capacity of accountant
and timekeeper. Thereafter he was for four years in the employ of the Western Union Telegraph Company, and in 1871
he engaged in the leather business at 1540 West Third Street He has continued successfully in this line of business
during the long intervening period of more than half a century, and his name and reputation stand for all that
is best in business ethics, with the implication of natural sequence, that his success has been on a parity with
his effective endeavors in his chosen sphere of activity. His loyalty to his native city is one of appreciative
liberality, and he has always been ready to lend his support to measures and undertakings tending to advance its
civic and material progress and prosperity, the while he has seen Cleveland grow from a minor city to one of thoroughly
metropolitan order. He has been financially interested in the upbuilding of various important industrial and commercial
enterprises. He is a director of the State Trust Company of Cleveland, and a member of its finance committee, and
is a director of the Equity Savings & Loan Company. Mr. Hackman is a valued member of the Cleveland Chamber
of Commerce, and is a member of the City Club. With a fine sense of the personal stewardship which success imposes,
Mr. Hackman has been liberal in the support of organized charity, the while his private benefactions have been
many and unostentatious. He was one of the first to become a member of the committee on benevolent institutions
of the Chamber of Commerce, now known as the Community Chest, and has been active in the work of this splendid
organization, which raises and wisely distributes to those in need millions of dollars each year.
In the year 1878 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Hackman and Miss Hannah Beckman, who likewise was born in Cleveland,
and who is a daughter of the late Herman and Wilhelminia (Hartman) Beckman, her father having been a pioneer manufacturer
in Cleveland and the business which he founded being still continued. Mr. and Mrs. Hackman have six children: Louisa,
Henry, Eugene, Joseph, Anna and Alfred. Louisa is the wife of Harry Geurink, and they have four children: Harry,
Louise, William and Virginia. Henry married Miss Gertrude Dittoe, and they have six children: Mary, Robert, Paul,
Martha, Gerald and Richard Eugene married Miss Lillian Prenter, and their two children are William and Mary J.
Anna is the wife of Howard Williams, and they have three children: Robert, John and Anna. Alfred married Miss Georgiana
Masterson, and they maintain their home in Cleveland.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium