C. LEE GRABER, Ph. G., B. S., M. D., F. A. C. S. One of a group of physicians and surgeons of "Greater
Cleveland" district who have won distinction alike for the community, the profession and themselves, is Doctor
Graber, who has been leader in the professional, civic and social life of Lakewood for twenty years.
Doctor Graber is a native of Ohio, and is of the third generation in the state of two early families, his parents,
Christian and Mary Ann (Bueche) Graber, having been born in Mount Eaton, Wayne County, the father on February 12,
1849, the mother on September 30, 1852. His paternal grandfather, Frederick Graber, was a native of Canton Berne,
Switzerland, while his grandmother, Anna (Tschantz) Graber, was a native of Wayne County, Ohio, the former born
on May 6, 1825, the latter on January 3, 1825. His maternal grandparents, Emanuel and Emelie (Rudolf) Bueche, were
natives of Canton Berne, Switzerland, born on May 7, 1822, and January 20, 1813, respectively.
His father having been a farmer, Doctor Graber spent his youth on the farm, and attended the local schools and
the Navare, Ohio High School. Passing the required examination and receiving a teacher's license, he taught school
from 1889 to 1894, and then gave up teaching to enter Ohio Northern University, where he was graduated in Pharmacy
in 1895 and Bachelor of Science in 1896, he having been president of the junior class of '95.
Leaving Ohio Northern University, Doctor Graber entered the University of Cincinnati, where he was graduated Doctor
of Medicine with the class of 1898, being president of his class.
He entered the practice of medicine in Mount Eaton, Ohio in 1898, and continued in that little city for six years
and then, he having acquired experience, skill and confidence in himself and the future, he decided to seek a broader
field of activity and in 1904, he came to Lakewood, which at that time was by no means the thriving city of today,
and of which community he justly can claim the distinction of being a "pioneer physician."
In Lakewood Doctor Graber continued in general practice until the passing years brought him such prestige in surgery
that it became expedient that he gradually gave up a considerable part of his general work and limited his practice
to that of general surgery; and today he is recognized by the public and profession as a surgeon, and as one of
unusual skill with but few superiors in Northern Ohio, which section is known as the home of many noted surgeons.
Doctor Graber has by no means confined his energies alone to his profession, but on the other hand, he has given
freely of his time and experience to the promotion of the welfare and Progresso of Lakewood along the lines of
health, community interest and business affairs, and it is generally conceded that the city is the gainer by his
unselfish efforts in those directions. For ten years he served as a member of the Lakewood Board of Health. And
in order that that city should have adequate hospital facilities of its own, he founded, in 1907, Lakewood Hospital
which, occursing its own handsome home, holds rank among other hospitals of the state, and of which Doctor Graber
is chief of staff and head of the surgical section.
Doctor Graber is the originator of the plan of a cooperation of physicians and dentists (not in a corporation or
partnership) whereby the public could receive more prompt and satisfactory service and physicians and dentists
would be relieved in a great measure of burdensome routine; and in order that his ideas might bear fruit and confer
a benefit upon both patients and practitioners, he erected "The Medical Building," a modern brick block
for the purpose in hand, which handsome edifice adorns a prominent corner on Detroit Avenue, and is now the professional
quarters of many of the leading members of the two professions of the city.
Doctor Graber is a member of the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, Cleveland Clinical Club, Ohio State Medical Association,
the American Medical Association, the Roentgenological Society of North America, and Fellow of the American College
of Surgeons. He is a member of Lakewood Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Cunningham Chapter, Royal Arch Masons;
Holy Grail Commandery, Knights Templar, and Al Koran Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is a member of Lakewood
and Cleveland Chambers of Commerce, of Westwood Country Club, and a trustee of Lakewood Methodist Episcopal Church.
In business affairs, he was for ten years a member of the board of directors of Lakewood State Bank and for eleven
years a member of the board of the Colonial Savings & Loan Bank, and helped organize both institutions.
Doctor Graber is deeply interested in all phases of his profession - chemistry, pathology and surgery, to which
he has given the best years of his life, and in which he has achieved ample success and has won a place of honor.
He is regarded by both the profession and the public as the "true physician," one ready at all times
to give of his best to both the patient and the profession, never neglecting the former nor forgetting the ethics
of the latter; and, above all, the friend, adviser and guide, and always the courteous gentleman to all. His circle
of friends is almost equal to his circle of acquaintances.
Doctor Graber married Miss Belle Taylor, who was born in Michigan, the daughter of James and Mary Taylor. Her family
came over from Scotland in early days, settling first in Canada, thence crossing into Michigan.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium