MAX P. GOODMAN has by his personality and ability gained vantage place as one of the successful members of the
bar of his native city, and is established in active general practice in Cleveland. He controls a substantial and
representative law business of important order.
Mr. Goodman was born in Cleveland, on the 28th of August, 1872, and is a son of the late Jacob and Rosa (Hershkowitz)
Goodman, the former of whom was born in Austria-Hungary and the latter in Polish Austria. Their marriage was solemnized
in 1864, and their ambition was soon afterward manifested by their coming to the United States, where they felt
assured of better opportunities for the winning of independence and a measure of prosperity. The young couple established
their home at Alliance, Ohio, and there Jacob Goodman found employment as car repairer in the shops of the Pennsylvania
Railroad. The Civil war was then in progress, and Mr. Goodman tendered his services in support of the Union. He
was enlisted as a mechanic, and thereafter continued in the railway department of the Government service until
the dose of the war. It may incidentally be stated in this connection that this same fine spirit of loyalty and
appreciation characterized him in all the relations of his life as an American citizen. It was soon after the dose
of the war that Jacob Goodman established the family home in Cleveland, and here he for a time conducted a restaurant
and hotel, on a modest scale. He later met with financial disaster while conducting a furnishing goods store, and
after thus losing all that he had accumulated he refused to be dismayed and took advantage of the first opportunity
that presented, with no false pride and with determination to make good his losses. For a time he operated a peanut
stand, and as his resources increased he finally engaged in the retail grocery business. In this line of enterprise
he continued successfully until his retirement from active business, and he was one of the sterling and honored
citizens of Cleveland at the time of his death, June 26, 1912, when seventy years of age, his wife having passed
away April 4, 1897.
Max P. Goodman attended the public schools of Cleveland until he was twelve years old, and in the meanwhile had
gained admission to the high school, from which he was compelled to withdraw after two weeks, in order to assist
his father. He had purchased Latin and other textbooks for his high school work, and after leaving school he kept
up his studies as far as possible. He assisted his father first at the peanut stand and later in the grocery store,
and in the latter connection he served as a salesman and delivered goods to patrons. In this delivery service he
first used a pushcart, and as the business prospered he was finally supplied with a horse and wagon for this purpose.
In this period of his career he kept up also his study of music, and developed his special talent for the violin,
in the playing of which he gained marked proficiency. When he was about fifteen years old his health became much
impaired, and he was compelled to withdraw from service as driver of the delivery wagon for his father's grocery.
He then initiated a course of stenography in the Spencerian Business College, and after six weeks had passed he
obtained a temporary position as stenographer and clerk in the law office of Peter, and Charles Zucker. In this
office he applied himself earnestly to work and study, and in the meanwhile he supplemented his meager income by
playing with an orchestra in the evenings. Ultimately he began reading law under the effective preceptorship of
the Messrs. Zucker, and in 1894 he successfully passed the examination that gained him admission to the bar of
his native state. He initiated his professional career by continuing his association with his honored preceptors,
the Zucker brothers, and after the elder of the two brothers had moved to New York City and the younger brother
had died, some time later, Mr. Goodman succeeded to the substantial practice which had been built up by the Zuckers,
his ability and careful service having enabled him since to hold this business and also to extend the same materially.
He has won place as one of the distinctly representative members of the bar of this city, and he specializes in
real estate law and in the legal phases of large business interests. Mr. Goodman has been prominently identified
with a number of substantial and important business and industrial concerns, both as counsel and official, and
he had much to do with many of more recent ninety nine year leases of important business site properties in Cleveland.
He is president of the Euclid One Hundred and Fifth Properties Company and is a director of the Youngstown &
Ohio Railway Company, the Steelcraft Corporation of America, the American Fire clay Products Company, and the Eberling
Machine Sales Company. He is attorney for the State Bank & Trust Company of Cleveland, is chairman of the Board
of Trustees of the Jewish Community House, and is affiliated with the Masonic Order and the Order of B'nai B'rith.
Though emphatically liberal and progressive as a citizen, Mr. Goodman has not been ambitious for public office,
his civic loyalty having, however, been shown during his service of one term as a member of the City Council.
Mr. Goodman married Miss Julie E. Bamberger, daughter of Frederick Bainberger, of Cleveland, who was for many years
an expert machinist in the service of the White Sewing Machine Company. Mr. and Mrs. Goodman have two children,
Julien Max and Maxine.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium