CHARLES WALLACE EMMONS, M. D., one of the leading physicians of Lakewood, was born at New Alexander, Columbiana
County, on April 13, 1883, and is the son of Harrison and Mary (Lower) Emmons, both of whom were natives of that
section of the state. The father, Harrison, was born October 3, 1840, and was the son of Enos Emmons, a native
of Virginia, who was the first member of this branch of the Emmons family to come to Ohio. When the Civil war broke
out in 1861, Harrison Emmons enlisted in the First Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until September,
1864, when he was honorably discharged and mustered out, and immediately returned to his home in Columbiana County.
Soon after the close of the war he went to Iowa, where he secured a half section of land, and for eight years was
there engaged in farming and stock raising, at the end of which time he sold out and returned to Columbiana County,
and engaged in merchandising at New Alexander, continuing in business for about thirty years. During that period
he also served as postmaster of the village and as treasurer of the township.
He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. His wife, Mary, the daughter of Michael Lower, one of the early
pioneers of Columbiana County, was born May 31, 1846. To their marriage the following children have been born:
William Sherman, who is an attorney of Alliance, Ohio; Catherine, who married Professor Crist, of Mount Union College,
and following his death she married James E. Scott and they reside in Cleveland; Albert F., who is a real estate
dealer of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Delmer O., who is in the mercantile business at Minerva, Ohio; Ida, who became
the wife of William Culbertson and they live at Alliance; Harry H., who is a practicing attorney at Canton, Ohio;
Dr. Charles W., subject; James B., a merchant of Cleveland; and Mary, who married Corwin Ray, of Baird, Ohio.
Doctor Emmons was reared in New Alexander, acquired his early education in the public schools, taught school for
one year, and then attended Mt. Union College for three years. He was graduated from the Cleveland College of Physicians
and Surgeons, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, class of 1906. That college is now the medical department
of Western Reserve University. During 1906-7 he served as interne at the Cleveland City Hospital, and then engaged
in the general practice of his profession at Rogers, Ohio. After several years he changed his location to Fairport
Harbor, on Lake Erie, in Lake County, and in 1920 came to Lakewood, where he has since continued in the general
practice of his profession. He maintains his offices at the corner of Brown Road and Madison Avenue, where he completed
in 1924 a beautiful brick residential and commercial apartment, one of the best in that section of Lakewood. He
there also established a first class pharmacy, which is in charge of his nephew, a graduate pharmacist.
Doctor Emmons is a member of the Ohio State and the American Medical associations. While practicing at Fairport
he was secretarytreasurer of the Lake County Medical Society. He is a member of Temple Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons, of Painsville; Lakewood Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of the Knights of the Maccabees. He
is vice president and a director of the Medicraft Company, manufacturers of fine soap and toilet articles, with
a nation wide market and a high reputation.
In 1906 the Doctor married Jennie L. Heastand, who was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, the daughter of Frank L.
and Ella Heastand. The Doctor and wife have a daughter, Carolyn Roce, eleven years of age.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium